Apply for refund or wait?

Options
doelani
doelani Posts: 2,576 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hubby has 2 jobs, a few years ago he underpaid tax in second job by £700 so last year his tax code was ajusted to claim this back, as well as this they done a " adjustment to 20% band" in case he earned to much last year ( into the 40% band) and he would not underpay again. His code was K57 on job 1 and BR on job 2.

Now p60 have arrived and he did not earn enough to go into the 40% band for his total earnings so he really should not have had the " adjustment to 20% band" although due to the nature of his job this would not have been known.

By my calculations he has overpaid a total of £560 for 2008/2009. I have also checked listentotaxman site and it is also agreeing with my figures of £560 overpaid.

His tax code for 2009/2010 is 359L again allowing for the "adjustment to 20% rate band" he may or may not go into the higher band this year, again no way of knowing.

Does hubby apply to get this back or will tax office send it automatically ? It took 3 years to realise he had underpaid the £700 will it take that long to realise he has overpaid?
TOTAL 44 weeks lose. 6st 9.5lb :T

Comments

• sarflee
    sarflee Posts: 375 Forumite
    Options
    I would send in the P60's now with a covering letter, requesting a review. Make sure you send the original P60's but take a photocopy of them incase they get mislaid!!

You could wait but it could take 3 years again!!!
  • doelani
    doelani Posts: 2,576 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    thanks , thats what I was thinking as well.
    TOTAL 44 weeks lose. 6st 9.5lb :T
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Given that he's 'in the system' now it shouldn't take as long - but it will speed things up if he writes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure