On Job Seekers Allowance - missing tax refund

Options
Back in July I got my P45 from work after redundancy. It says I got paid £27399.80 during the year and paid £7944 in tax. Since then I have been on job seekers allowance and received from the DSS my P60U which says in the columns:

benefit for current claim: £1573
Pay £0
Taxable £1573
Pay and Taxable benefit £1573

Tax Deducted £0
Tax Refunded £0
Net tax Deducted £0

This is wrong, and doesn't include my pay from my job. What should I do?

They did take half of the P45 when I started signing on. Why is this missing from their refund?

What should I do?

Thanks,

Kevin

Comments

• fengirl_2
    fengirl_2 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Options
    You need to apply to your tax office for yur refund. Send then your orignal P60U from the Benefit Office together with parts 2 and 3 of the P45 with a covering letter explaining this was your only income for the year. Refund due is about £3356.
    £705,000 raised by client groups in the past 18 mths :beer:
  • kpankhurst
    Options
    fengirl wrote: »
    You need to apply to your tax office for yur refund. Send then your orignal P60U from the Benefit Office together with parts 2 and 3 of the P45 with a covering letter explaining this was your only income for the year. Refund due is about £3356.

Thanks. Should I not contact the DSS and ask them why it is missing?

Also, I only have Part1A. The rest of the forms were kept by the DSS when I started signing on.

Should I contact the tax office in writting? Or should I fill out the online self-assessment?

Thanks for your help,

Kevin
  • fengirl_2
    fengirl_2 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Options
    I wouldn't bother asking the DHSS as they work in mysterious ways and I expect they wont know. The important thing is that you havnt had the refund and now you have to sort it out.
    Send a photocopy of the P45 part 1A with your claim (sorry I missed the bit about you handing in your P45).
    You will need to write a letter to your tax office as I have described. On no account self assess or you will never get out of the system and its not necessary anyway.
    £705,000 raised by client groups in the past 18 mths :beer:
  • kpankhurst
    Options
    Thanks all. I will do that immediately on Monday. I would like the money soon and I worked out that it is actually arond £3650 I am owed.

In the meantime, if others have other helpful input, please contribute. I wonder how many people are in the same situation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure