We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Finally ..paid off my NEXT account

I've finally done it, paid off the Next account with all that high interest. It has been one of those debts that has irritated me like mad and now its gone :j :rotfl: :j :rotfl: :j
I have been able to do it because I worked an extra shift last night earning me an extra £130 that has made up the shortfall I needed to pay it off. We will find the rest of the month tough going though and will have to stick to a frugal budget like mad but it has been so worth it. On top of this I have just paid for our holiday to Cornwall in the summer :D and paid a £300 deposit for DS1 school trip :o , without these I could have paid another £800 off our debts :rolleyes: but I've no regrets we are still ahead of our snowball date though don't want to update that in my sig yet as we are still very early into our debtbusting and a long way to go. :T :T
Debtfree JUNE 2008 - Thank you MSE:T

Comments

  • skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Well done! That's a weight off your mind.

    But...holidays with that much debt? Are you MAD?!?!?!?! Honey, are you SURE you've had your lightbulb moment?

    We skint people can't afford holidays - I haven't had one since 1997!!!!
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • themaccas
    themaccas Posts: 1,453 Forumite
    Hi Skintchick, I know it is quite self indulgent and am now wondering a little..... however we are going self catering and planning on living a tight 'normal' budget for the week as we do at home at the moment. I am also planning to work several extra nightshifts over the next few months (have already booked for another 5 in the next 5 weeks) and am doing this to recoup the money back we have spent out fo the holiday so I feel I am earning the holiday, without having booked it I probably would not be working half as many extra shifts. It's hard work, takes time from my family but the thought of a break in the summer is definately worth it. I promise you I have had my lightbulb moment and it still burns brightly! This was not bought on credit and in fact I have not used a cc since december last year. But I do understand your comments, I'm trying to justify my actions and probably failing!!!!
    Debtfree JUNE 2008 - Thank you MSE:T
  • themaccas wrote:
    On top of this I have just paid for our holiday to Cornwall in the summer :D and paid a £300 deposit for DS1 school trip :o , without these I could have paid another £800 off our debts :rolleyes: but I've no regrets we are still ahead of our snowball date

    Hi themaccas,

    I think you deserve the holiday and your DS1 deserves his school trip - you are working REALLY hard to pay off your debts by doing extra shifts etc and everyone needs something to look forward to.

    You go girl (or boy?)!

    Remember to put this in D&DD's 'Good News' thread too also currently on front page of DFW too ...

    scottishspendaholic x
    MBNA = £4,000 / Next = £925 (approx. tbc on 19/8)
    Tesco = £2,910.11 / Smile overdraft = £500
    Bank of Scotland = £2,782.83
  • moozie_2
    moozie_2 Posts: 3,063 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Congratulations! :T

    You are doing really well! I am really happy for you. I have no view on the holiday or your child's trip. Just take all things into account and make your decision. We're all different ;)

    Keep up the good work :j
    Leason learnt :beer:
  • forsya
    forsya Posts: 251 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Hey

    Just wanted to say welldone for paying off your Next card, bet you feel great!

    Keep up the good work and enjoy your holiday!!

    xx
    Became debt free in 2007 after having £15k of debt. Have been a stranger to MSE and now want to get back into my old MSE habits and save, save, save
  • kathfisch
    kathfisch Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    :j well done for paying that off, it must feel great :j

    You will enjoy your holiday so much knowing that it has been earned rather than put on credit! As moozie says, everyone is different and we all have to make our own decisions. It sounds like you've put thought into the decision which seems to me to be the crucial point!
    Don't stress, relax, let life roll off your backs. Except for death and paying taxes, everything in life is only for now... Avenue Q
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 003 :DProud to have become debt free... and striving to keep it that way
  • tattooed_lady
    tattooed_lady Posts: 1,591 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Well done themaccas, that's another one to cross off the list :j
    Mortgage-free wannabe!
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.