We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

When are you a defaulter ?

Hi,
I have arranged payment plans with my cr.card companies directly without the cccs etc. and have kept to them, will I be registered as defaulting if I keep up the agreed payments or have I defaulted already just by making a payment plan ?
Anyone been in the same situation & do you know the answer ?
Thanks :confused:

Comments

  • dollindebt
    dollindebt Posts: 71 Forumite
    Not sure on that one--I would have thought if your payment plans are temporary, maybe they won't default you, but if you have broken the original credit agreement terms, and this is a long-term thing, they may still default you at some point. I entered into a debt management programme with Payplan a year ago, and all 9 of my creditors defaulted me and most passed the debt on to debt agencies.
    Debt-free in May 2015 with the help of Payplan and MSE
    Lightbulb Moment: November 22, 2004 :idea:
  • TAG
    TAG Posts: 2,823 Forumite
    Sorry to say I agree with dollindebt.
  • Me_Myself_2
    Me_Myself_2 Posts: 524 Forumite
    I'm in a DMP arranged by ourselves and we've only been defaulted on one CC (Egg), who were not helpful from the first month.

    All others (13 ish) froze interest and reduced payments from 1% to 0.02%.
    :grouphug: Things can only get better.
  • HueyBuey
    HueyBuey Posts: 24 Forumite
    Thanks me myself - Egg weren't too helpful to me either - I take it they have to send you a default notice in writing so you would know ? Most helpful was Goldfish, no questions, accepted DMP for 6 months without financial statement and froze interest & charges straightaway.
  • to be a defaulter you will issued with a default notice if you dont recieve a default notice you are not defaulter
  • dollindebt wrote:
    Not sure on that one--I would have thought if your payment plans are temporary, maybe they won't default you, but if you have broken the original credit agreement terms, and this is a long-term thing, they may still default you at some point. I entered into a debt management programme with Payplan a year ago, and all 9 of my creditors defaulted me and most passed the debt on to debt agencies.

    some help mate, please. I too just spoke to CCCS about my debts and they either said Personal bankrupcy or Debt management plan. but with DMP i9 think they said, the CC companies wud default you + they may also inform the collection agencies. what do you think is better ? personal bankrupcy or DMT ? will collection agencies take away my property etc? thank you mate...
  • Yes HueyBuey, Egg issued a default almost immediately (letter). We explained that they (my friends) hoped to pay the debt off in full (£15k) within 6 months (by selling property), but they weren't interested. They defaulted on 25th August 2005. We property sold, they accepted £10k as a F&F at end of November 2005! Mad.
    :grouphug: Things can only get better.
  • HueyBuey
    HueyBuey Posts: 24 Forumite
    Thanks for that LoneRanger, I haven't had any so assume for the moment I'm not registered as a defaulter - whoo hoo :-))
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.