We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Not to winge or anything...

13

Comments

  • tyllwyd
    tyllwyd Posts: 5,496 Forumite
    Doesn't your mortgage require buildings insurance at least? Or maybe since you are in a flat, there is insurance on the building as a whole - in which case, is there a monthly or annual service charge to cover that kind of thing?
  • Badger_Lady
    Badger_Lady Posts: 6,264 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Yeah - the flat's leasehold, so the landlord is responsible for buildings insurance and I pay an annual ground rent / service charge. Contents is my own responsibility... I just hope I don't get burgled or set on fire!
    Mortgage | £145,000Unsecured Debt | [strike]£7,000[/strike] £0 Lodgers | |
  • Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,760 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Are you claiming the single adult occupancy discount on your council tax?
  • Badger_Lady
    Badger_Lady Posts: 6,264 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Hi BB - yes, I am! First thing I did when he moved out :-) Good tip though - I've met loads of people that didn't even know about that.
    Mortgage | £145,000Unsecured Debt | [strike]£7,000[/strike] £0 Lodgers | |
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    Hi Badger lady do you have a clubcard if so do you get your petrol at Mr T's? The extra points add up which helps stretch the shopping bill.If you like salads and stuff why not make up a batch yourself from scratch for the fridge and keep in a tupperware save buying the ready made stuff.The Old style board is full of hints and tips for grocery reductions and there are lots of things you can start doing like using coupons to help reduce your bill (I have started doing this again and have saved a load!)There is also a daily newspaper thread which tells you which papers have coupons in..think its on the discount and vouchers board.Well done for asking for help
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Hi there badger lady!

    One thing I CANT believe that no one is suggesting for you as a movie lover is ditching the SKY package and going for trial periods with lovefilm/blockbuster/paradiso plenty of other ONline DVD rental packages. Most give you a month for free- at least. You get the films YOU wanna watch not whatever Sky fancies putting on! If you are double clever about it ( as I was this week :D ) Youll grab yourself a two week, 3 films at a time for free trial with blockbuster and by going via Quidco ( do a google for it) I'm getting a £25 payment for trying it!

    After that, through Quidco there are other companies that pay up for a trial period too. If you are looking to save just 20 quid a month- Ive just saved you 18 :beer:
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • Badger_Lady
    Badger_Lady Posts: 6,264 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Thanks Lynzpower, that's a fab tip! I've just signed up with Blockbuster with £15 cashback! The Sky is up for renewal on Tuesday so it's good timing to cancel ;)

    Of course, the main point of this is not just to save £20 a month, but to start paying off some of this debt - so everything helps.
    Mortgage | £145,000Unsecured Debt | [strike]£7,000[/strike] £0 Lodgers | |
  • sparkle84
    sparkle84 Posts: 297 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Have you budget for your maintainance charge I also have a small one bedroom flat and that work out at £50 per month have you received a maintainance bill yet??
  • lizzie666
    lizzie666 Posts: 26 Forumite
    Hi. I had a similar problem when i split with my ex. 1 bed flat. 2 cats 1 very large morgage!
    I spoke to my morgage company (RBS) and sent them my bank statements and they were happy to transfer it into my name as long as I had my ex's consent. so i offered him £5 grand (thanks to my folks) and agreed to pay the legal fees (about £500)
    he moved out, butwhile he was still part owner he kept on sending estate agents round to put the house on the market - I felt the same way as you.. there is no way I'm letting go of my home!!

    I have no idea why they thought I could take on a £70,000 morgage on my income of £14,000 but they did. so maybe its worth giving it a go.

    Scrap your landline if you have a mobile! And double check about your buildings insurance. My flat is leasehold, and I was advised that buildings insurance is a must.

    It is a struggle on your own but I really belive it is worth it in the long run.
    good luck. :D
    A minion trying to save the world from Corporate blood suckers!
  • Badger_Lady
    Badger_Lady Posts: 6,264 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Have you budget for your maintainance charge I also have a small one bedroom flat and that work out at £50 per month have you received a maintainance bill yet??
    I haven't had a bill yet, but looking at previous years' it's only £80-£120 a year. I did look at flats that charged up to £80 a month! I think that's just extortionate - they must be doing a lot of maintenance for that kind of money.
    Mortgage | £145,000Unsecured Debt | [strike]£7,000[/strike] £0 Lodgers | |
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.