We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Best way to save for holiday but reduce debts?!
acheekymunky
Posts: 104 Forumite
As you may see from my signature I am in quite a bit of debt and part of that has stemmed from my live life to the fullest philosophy....so to carry on with old habits I am planning to go and work in Australia for a year in Septmber 2007.
After doing a bit of research I have calculated that I will need about £10,000 to take with me. So I have £10,000 to save in 17 months. Yet I also want to half my debt my the time I go...my mum said she would cover the minimum payments on the debt I have left for the year (lucky me!).
After watching that 'become mortgage free in 2 years' programme I realise it can be done in a short time! My first step is that I have got a new job taking me from £11k to £18k per year...
Does anyone else have any suggestions of hardcore money making schemes which can help knock a chunk off my debt in the year and a half I have to save up?! What about National Savings and Investments? would it be worth putting £50 per month into that and having the chance of winning money but guaranteeing my money back by the time I go away?
Any help would be grateful
Thanks x
After doing a bit of research I have calculated that I will need about £10,000 to take with me. So I have £10,000 to save in 17 months. Yet I also want to half my debt my the time I go...my mum said she would cover the minimum payments on the debt I have left for the year (lucky me!).
After watching that 'become mortgage free in 2 years' programme I realise it can be done in a short time! My first step is that I have got a new job taking me from £11k to £18k per year...
Does anyone else have any suggestions of hardcore money making schemes which can help knock a chunk off my debt in the year and a half I have to save up?! What about National Savings and Investments? would it be worth putting £50 per month into that and having the chance of winning money but guaranteeing my money back by the time I go away?
Any help would be grateful
Thanks x
Making the most of what I've got.
I have now realised earning more money won't make me richer but clearing my debts will!!
I have now realised earning more money won't make me richer but clearing my debts will!!
0
Comments
-
Why do you need 10 grand if your gonna work there?0
-
Could you not just take £5,000 with you and pay the rest of the debts. I run my house essentials including food and mortgage on £5,000 a year.Barclaycard 3800
Nothing to do but hibernate till spring
0 -
I worked out it would cost £15k including food/travel expenses/flights/insurance and travelling around for a couple of weeks at a time.
I estimated I would earn 5k as there are lots of people there with the same idea and for foreigners I dont know how easy or stable it is to get work?!
Has anyone been travelling before who could give me any advice/tips?
Thanks guysMaking the most of what I've got.
I have now realised earning more money won't make me richer but clearing my debts will!!0 -
I would put the australia trip off and pay the debts off first and then go. Then you can spend what you like in australia.2008 Comping ChallengeWon so far - £3010 Needed - £230Debt free since Oct 20040
-
The most sensible option would be to pay your debts off before you go surely?
I did the 'year in Australia' thing - and I certainly didn't take £10k with me! I had the minimum I needed to get into the country, and prove I'd be able to support myself (iirc, that was about £1k), plus a bit, but certainly not £10k, and I survived! I worked for short periods, and had the time of my life for the rest of the time - I probably existed on less than £4k for the year, including all my travel, accodation, food, drinks and smokes. I had to watch my spending, but not overly so, and I didn't feel like I missed anything at all by not having £10k burning a hole in my pocket!Highest Debt (Sept 04) -> £41,300
Debt Free - August 2006!!
0 -
Yeh I think I have overly estimated the cost but I didnt want to go and be caught short and have to come home!
Right well I think my mission is to save 5k for australia and halve my debt. I realise the sensible option would be to go after I am debt free but I am a very impulsive person and I am very aware of a big clock ticking...I want to pay my debts off and go traveling before im 30...
Does anyone sell on e-bay? would it be realistic to estimate £100 a month profit by selling things on there?
My next step is to tell my friend I wont be moving in with her (although Im due to go and buy a wardrobe today with her!) I have been paying £300 rent for the past 3 months and still havent moved in yet...I dont want to...I cant afford to..but I know she will hate me for it and I could risk losing her as a friend! help!Making the most of what I've got.
I have now realised earning more money won't make me richer but clearing my debts will!!0 -
Chortle I think it is excellent how you have got your debt down so much...how have you done it?
ThanksMaking the most of what I've got.
I have now realised earning more money won't make me richer but clearing my debts will!!0 -
how old are you acheekymonkey? Have you looked into travelling at all? Because if you're close to 30, you probably won't get a 1yr working visa for Australia anyway - I think the age limit is 25 (was when I went anyway)Highest Debt (Sept 04) -> £41,300
Debt Free - August 2006!!
0 -
Im 23 now will be 25 when I go travelling...26 when I come back!Making the most of what I've got.
I have now realised earning more money won't make me richer but clearing my debts will!!0 -
You are young and have your whole life to see the world. Whenever you go have a great time.Barclaycard 3800
Nothing to do but hibernate till spring
0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards