We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Identity fraud and Data Protection Act
KingCanute_2
Posts: 10 Forumite
This story is so unbeleivable I have to share it with you!
I moved into my flat and understood it had a bad credit history from previous tenants - I had massive problems getting the phone, utilities reconnected and in my name because of outstanding bills on the property etc etc
About 6 months after i moved in, I got a welcome letter from Great Universal with my "first order" - a £600 hifi system!
I phoned the number on the letter/bill and explained there must be some mistake as I wasnt a customer, didnt want to be , and certainly didnt order anything from them!
I must admit I ranted a bit and the girl forgot to ask fundamental Data Protection questions. Anyway, she asked my name, address, account no from the bill, and then told me that yes, my wife had made the order. - Oh and by the way, she called yesterday to change the delivery address
Thats funny -whats it say my wifes name is cos Im a single gay man - I told her (true btw) and what delivery address has it been chaged to cos Ill go round there with the police
I think a supervisor reminder her about verifying DOB or another question to comply with DP as she asked my my birthdate (she may have been training with dual headset on)
I told her my birthdate and she said - Oh, thats not the same as on my screen here - I cant talk to you any more, cos youre not the account holder!!"
As you can imagine I went mental - here I am, sitting in my nice new flat with a 600 quid bill for something being delivered to a scammer and she wont talk to me any more!!
Anyway, the supervisor came on then and advised me to write them a letter explaining what had happenned. I never got a response, although I sent it Recorded Delivery and it was signed for. A few months later I applied for my experian file and there it was
Shop Direct Financial Services Mail order (which GUS is part of)
Started 1/3/yy Settled (one month later) Credit Limit £1100
DOB verification 29/07/yyyy
That DOB is totally wrong (cos my "wife" wouldnt know my DOB) and it would make me 9.5 years younger!
Ive had to write to experian and put a Notice of Correction to say this happened, but it still remains on my file until 2008 even though its "settled"
Moral - buy a shredder
Check your experian file online once a week
Dont move into a property with disconnected services
I moved into my flat and understood it had a bad credit history from previous tenants - I had massive problems getting the phone, utilities reconnected and in my name because of outstanding bills on the property etc etc
About 6 months after i moved in, I got a welcome letter from Great Universal with my "first order" - a £600 hifi system!
I phoned the number on the letter/bill and explained there must be some mistake as I wasnt a customer, didnt want to be , and certainly didnt order anything from them!
I must admit I ranted a bit and the girl forgot to ask fundamental Data Protection questions. Anyway, she asked my name, address, account no from the bill, and then told me that yes, my wife had made the order. - Oh and by the way, she called yesterday to change the delivery address
Thats funny -whats it say my wifes name is cos Im a single gay man - I told her (true btw) and what delivery address has it been chaged to cos Ill go round there with the police
I think a supervisor reminder her about verifying DOB or another question to comply with DP as she asked my my birthdate (she may have been training with dual headset on)
I told her my birthdate and she said - Oh, thats not the same as on my screen here - I cant talk to you any more, cos youre not the account holder!!"
As you can imagine I went mental - here I am, sitting in my nice new flat with a 600 quid bill for something being delivered to a scammer and she wont talk to me any more!!
Anyway, the supervisor came on then and advised me to write them a letter explaining what had happenned. I never got a response, although I sent it Recorded Delivery and it was signed for. A few months later I applied for my experian file and there it was
Shop Direct Financial Services Mail order (which GUS is part of)
Started 1/3/yy Settled (one month later) Credit Limit £1100
DOB verification 29/07/yyyy
That DOB is totally wrong (cos my "wife" wouldnt know my DOB) and it would make me 9.5 years younger!
Ive had to write to experian and put a Notice of Correction to say this happened, but it still remains on my file until 2008 even though its "settled"
Moral - buy a shredder
Check your experian file online once a week
Dont move into a property with disconnected services
The more you learn the less you know
The less you find out as you go
The less you find out as you go
0
Comments
-
Thats' a shocking story! Did you ever go to he police and, if so, did you get any joy from them ?HLK
"Karma - it's a wonderful thing" - Just ask Earl!0 -
Nah - due to Data Protection wasnt allowed to know the perpetrators!!The more you learn the less you know
The less you find out as you go0 -
KingCanute wrote:Nah - due to Data Protection wasnt allowed to know the perpetrators!!
You wouldn't have to know - the police would have contacted the catalogue company to get the details.
Although you may not think you have enough information - please report it to the police as it is the only way these people will get caught!Treat others as you would like to be treated :A0 -
You don’t need a Notice of Correction. You need Shop Direct Financial Services Mail Order to correct your credit file(s). They are legally required to take all reasonable steps to ensure the information is correct.KingCanute wrote:Ive had to write to experian and put a Notice of Correction to say this happened, but it still remains on my file until 2008 even though its "settled".
There should be an address for Shop Direct Financial Services Mail Order/GUS at the end of your Experian report. If there isn’t, call Experian and ask for the address for that company’s data/credit controller. Write to them, explaining the background, and state that you want that entry on your credit file removed. If that doesn’t get it removed, you can take your complaint to the Information Commissioner's Office. There are more details about your rights at the back of the booklet you get with your Experian credit report.古池や蛙飛込む水の音0 -
Thanks Guys!
Writing letters now!The more you learn the less you know
The less you find out as you go0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards