We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Halifax problem
Comments
-
Hi there,
I was overpayed during the first six months of my current job by a fair bit. As I had just started there and I haven't a head for figures, I had no idea what I should be getting every month and was expecting a big pay increase from my previous job so I was none the wiser.
About 11 months ago, after the end of the last financial year - I was called to the scariest meeting of my life and my bosses and colleagues DEMANDED 50% of the money back at over £200 a month. They had all been able to prepare for the meeting and were aware of their legal standing (apparently under Scottish law - don't know if its different anywhere else in the U.K.) they could claim back 100%. What really bothered me was that it felt like 3 high up people vs. 1 pleb (me) and they had all had time to prepare for the meeting and I was just so shocked, upset and confused.
Eventually we agreed on me paying back just 10% over 1 year because I was so distraught, I totally broke down and I think they were frightened that I would go to the papers (they are quite a high profile company and like to stay friends with the press). I know that morally I should pay back the 100% but it was human error (I know this) and I still feel hard done by (although I know people won't agree with this) because of the way the issue was handled.
Sorry this is kind of not helpful - but I just wanted to tell you my story. I have not been quite the same at work since - every time someone goes into a meeting, I think they are meeting about me, it has dented my confidence and made me feel really stupid. Yes, it was lovely getting that money but I didn't appreciate it fully at the time as I thought it was mine to squander. My OH thinks that this is the cause of some of my recent overspending and consolidating too (end of 2005) as I had been so used to having more money and was still spending at the same rate when my salary dropped to what it should have been all along.
I wish you all the luck. I really don't think they will or can take a 17 year old to court so I would take some free legal advice from CAB or we have an excellent phone and web advice service called the Scottish Child Law Centre that would give great advice on this issue by trained lawyers but I don't know if you have anything similar where you are?
Sorry for the ramble
scottishspendaholic xMBNA = £4,000 / Next = £925 (approx. tbc on 19/8)
Tesco = £2,910.11 / Smile overdraft = £500
Bank of Scotland = £2,782.830 -
I would like to say to ahullkingstonrover that yes my dughter was employed by the Halifax directly. It has put her off for life ever wanting to work for someone like them again. Both me and my daughter have spoken to various people trying to sort this out but they are very curt and not very helpful thats why my daughter gets me to phone now i think they have scared her with their attitude. So i can understand where scottishspendaholic is coming from with his story.They are very unhelpful. As it was her last month she was sent her last payslip with the amount on it. So instead of a whole months money the £250 looked to me if they just paid her for a week. So a month later for them to decide its an overpayment is well just out of order. Thank you everyone again.0
-
Hi have a look at the very bottom of this page about law of estppel
I wasoverpaid when I left a job despite the fact that I emailed them my hours for the last week I worked for themand queried it. I moved house and several months later got a letter from a solicitors saying I had been overpaid and had to pay it back.
I looked into this 'law of estoppel' thing but decided not to bother because I was really stresses with moving house and just couldn't face it. I agreed to pay back £20 per month for about two years I think and the last payment went out in January.
Perhaps you could mention this law if you can get a free hour with a solicitor.
Hope this helps!0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards