MRSA link to constant teeth abcesses..

Options
my mum is constantly getting teeth abcesses. she is told by her dentist that because she caught the superbug in hospital she will now be prone to this. Does this sound right? and can she do anything about it? she nearly died. I would like to specify that she is in france and caught this in a french hospital . thanks for any help.

Comments

• black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    No advice about MRSA but when I was a vegetarian I used to get loads of tooth absesses. I was a veggie for 11 years and had about 9 absesses in this time and I know they are on a par with childbirth pain wise. I gave up being a veggie about 8 years ago because of that and other heath problems and have not had one since. Just something to ponder.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • Dora_the_Explorer_5
    Options
    The dentist may mean that her immune system has been compromised by the infection she developed whilst in hospital and consequently she may be more vulnerable to any future exposure to infections.
    Her doctor will tell her if there are any precautions she could take if this is the case.
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,075 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Dora's explanation sounds closest to what I would have thought.

A tooth will not abscess if it is perfectly healthy. Only teeth that have had a lot of work done to them in the past, or have suffered trauma in the past will be prone to abcesses.

This means you may well go through a 'phase' where all your large fillings are getting abscesses, and then when you pass through that phase, everything's fine again. It's unlikely to be due to your diet, but i would think a compromised immune system might just play a part.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • robonz
    robonz Posts: 333 Forumite
    Options
    you might be able to find some advice at https://www.mrsasupport.co.uk
    thanks to everyone who has thanked me!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts