We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Newbie - Where do we begin

Having been recommended to these forums by several folk, I have made the first step to dealing with our finance problems.

My own history has not been great having been on a joint mortgage with my ex partner 10 years ago. That partner declared himself bankrupt after we seperated but before we had chance to put the mortgage solely in his name. I then went travelling not realising about his bankruptcy. Years passed, I got married and began renting property as we couldn't find our ideal home. Out of the blue last month I got a letter from the original mortgage company asking me to pay the £12,000 shortfall that thay have following the sale of the house after repossession. This is when I found out about ex's bankruptcy. What can I do about this. The repossession happened in 1999 and I have heard nothing until now and I am quite shocked. Someone somewhere has worked hard to find me because i have moved 4 times since 1999 with work, married & changed my name and 6 months into living at our new address I get this letter. What would you advise? I have not contacted the mortgage company acknowledging receipt of the letter as I don't know what to say. Hubby already has major financial problems due to a failed business venture and we are in no position to even make small payments.

Any help would be appreciated.

K
x

p.s. what is CCCS that I often read about on here?

Comments

  • Janey51
    Janey51 Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Hi K. What a nightmare for you. I can't give any really helpful advice but why don't you phone National Debtline? It might take you a while to get through as they are so busy but they give free advice and it is a starting point.
    CCCS is the Consumer Credit Counselling Service who are a charity giving free debt help. We have just started a payment plan with them for our debts of £84000+
    Good luck.
  • briona
    briona Posts: 1,454 Forumite
    katsplat1 wrote:
    Having been recommended to these forums by several folk, I have made the first step to dealing with our finance problems.

    My own history has not been great having been on a joint mortgage with my ex partner 10 years ago. That partner declared himself bankrupt after we seperated but before we had chance to put the mortgage solely in his name. I then went travelling not realising about his bankruptcy. Years passed, I got married and began renting property as we couldn't find our ideal home. Out of the blue last month I got a letter from the original mortgage company asking me to pay the £12,000 shortfall that thay have following the sale of the house after repossession. This is when I found out about ex's bankruptcy. What can I do about this. The repossession happened in 1999 and I have heard nothing until now and I am quite shocked. Someone somewhere has worked hard to find me because i have moved 4 times since 1999 with work, married & changed my name and 6 months into living at our new address I get this letter. What would you advise? I have not contacted the mortgage company acknowledging receipt of the letter as I don't know what to say. Hubby already has major financial problems due to a failed business venture and we are in no position to even make small payments.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    K
    x

    p.s. what is CCCS that I often read about on here?

    Hi Kat

    Welcome to MSE!

    My understanding is [and I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong], that as the debt is outstanding from 1999, which is MORE than 6 years ago [just!], they cannot chase you for it.

    In any case, the mortgage was in joint names originally so you couldn't be classed as being responsible for the full £12K – shouldn't half belong to your ex???

    Hope this helps [or that someone who comes along later can be of more help].

    Briona

    UPDATE: Sorry, it would appear that I have been wrong in regards to the 6 year rule – it appears [see linked article] that they can claim for up to 12 years! CAB may be able to better advise, though I still maintain that as it was a joint mortgage you are not solely liable for the debt.

    http://money.guardian.co.uk/print/0,3858,4987473-113023,00.html
    If I don't respond to your posts, it's probably because you're on my 'Ignore' list.
  • skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    You could try posting on the mortgage board as they may have better specialist knowledge.
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • I think mortgages are subject to a 12 year bar rather than 6 years, but I wouldn't like to comment in this case as I don't know enough about how all this works - particularly with the OH bankruptcy element thrown in. I'm sure someone qualified will be along shortly to help.

    Aside from that, sorry to hear of your difficulties - it's never nice to be confronted with these things, especially when you thought they were dead and buried. You have my undivided support, and I'm sure that goes for everyone else here too. :grouphug:
    Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions. A.A. Latimer :eek:
    Debt Jan 06: £103,000
    Current: £99,000
    Debt-free date: 2465 (give or take a century)
    Current homemade banana bread status: 2 slices left
    Current statement/letter stack: 8.6 inches
    The real measure of your wealth is how much you'd be worth if you lost all your money
    :D
  • nrsql
    nrsql Posts: 1,928 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I believe for mortgages they can go back up to 12 years but even if that's correct it doesn't mean it's enforcable.
    I suspect it also depends on how you seperated from your ex.
    Think also for a joint mortgage they can go after either partner for the full amount (jointly and severally liable).

    You need to get some legal advice about the situation before making any response.
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    unfortunately it all depends upon the circumstances.
    what actually happened to the house and mortgage...was there a court order or was the house sold?

    if there was a court order then they can chase you without limit of time,
    otherwise mortgage debt expires after 12 years if no action has been commenced; however if your mortgage provider is part of the mortgage council (or something similar ...i've forgotten the exact title) then they voluntarily limit commencing action about 6 years

    you need expert advice because the key is about date of commencing action and i'm not sure exactly that consists of.
    EU tariff on agricultual product 12.2%
    some dairy products 42.1% cloths 11.4%
    EU Clinical Trials Directive stops medical advances
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    also...i meant to add that you may want to check your credit file to see whether or no this has reached it.
    EU tariff on agricultual product 12.2%
    some dairy products 42.1% cloths 11.4%
    EU Clinical Trials Directive stops medical advances
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.