SMP - Statutory Maternity Pay

Options
My wife received this for a while last tax year.

Is this taxable and is it classed as income in terms of the tax credits award/renewal pack?

Comments

• Tiggergirl
    Tiggergirl Posts: 147 Forumite
    Options
    It is taxable and anything over £100 a week is classed as income for tax credits. I'm not sure how the form deals with this though, as I haven't had my renewal pack yet.
  • cfnc
    cfnc Posts: 119 Forumite
    Options
    Tiggergirl wrote: »
    It is taxable and anything over £100 a week is classed as income for tax credits. I'm not sure how the form deals with this though, as I haven't had my renewal pack yet.

Do you not mean £100 per year?

If your wife is still employed her taxable pay will be on her P60, or if she has left the job it will be on her P45

Kirsty
  • keithing-ger
    Options
    My wife has not went back to work as it has changed ownership. SMP is paid by the government, so I dont imagine that would appear on her p60?
  • cfnc
    cfnc Posts: 119 Forumite
    Options
    ok well then she will get a P60 from DWP, but she should have also either been given a P60 from the employer even though they have changed ownership or a P45
  • Tiggergirl
    Options
    cfnc wrote: »
    Do you not mean £100 per year?

No, SMP is (or was last year) £117 ish a week. £100 of this is not classed as income for tax credits purposes. For example, I was on maternity leave for 39 weeks, and £3900 of my annual income is not counted for tax credits. However it is taxable like any other income.
  • pinkpig08
    pinkpig08 Posts: 2,829 Forumite
    Options
    The current rate for SMP is £123 and a few pence.
    Sealed Pot Challenge #817 £50 banked :)
  • Tiggergirl
    Options
    pinkpig08 wrote: »
    The current rate for SMP is £123 and a few pence.

The discussion was regarding last tax year
  • Tiggergirl
    Options
    Tiggergirl wrote: »
    No, SMP is (or was last year) £117 ish a week. £100 of this is not classed as income for tax credits purposes. For example, I was on maternity leave for 39 weeks, and £3900 of my annual income is not counted for tax credits. However it is taxable like any other income.

See Step 2 here
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport