CIS Tax Return

Options
Hello everyone

I have a question. I know CIS is 20% deduct tax from gross income. I just need to know with expenses such as motor/petrol, tools, phone, car insurance , are they meant to be subtracted against your net income or added onto your net income. I have a friend who's done a tax return and the accountant he went to deducted his earnings against his net income. Is this meant to happen?

Comments

• Elaine_Wilson
    Options
    I take it when you say net income you mean after deduction of the 20% and not net of expenses.

The accountant should have prepared the accounts using the gross income and then deducted the allowable expenses. This gives the net taxable profit.

The tax deduction is basically ignored until the overall tax liability is worked out. The 20% deductions are then treated as payments on account of this liability.
    If it’s not important to you, don’t consume it
  • greenelephant_2
    Options
    yes I meant 20% off gross figure when I stated 'net income'. So if im taking in everything you said correctly the accountant takes the total of all my expenses and takes it away from my "net income" instead of adding it on to the "net income" total? Therefore reducing the total sum of my rebate instead of increasing it.
  • Ste_C
    Ste_C Posts: 676 Forumite
    Options
    No, you're getting confused. It's like this:

Income 100,000
    CIS paid 20,000

Forget about the CIS tax now

Expenses 50,000

Income less expenses (100,000 - 50,000) 50,000

Taxable at about 20%

Tax due 10,000

Tax already paid 20,000

Refund due 10,000

That's a very rough example and ignores your personal allowance. But your accountant isn't reducing your rebate! Don't worry!
  • greenelephant_2
    Options
    :) Thanks I understand you now
  • greenelephant_2
    greenelephant_2 Posts: 13 Forumite
    edited 26 April 2009 at 7:37PM
    Options
    OK I myself have just gone in for a CIS return at an accountants. They have stated that my net profit is £2,866.00 from an income of £5,719.00
    Also no tax liability is incurred as my personal allowances exceed my income. However I have had tax deducted at source totalling £1,757.00 which is due to be given back to me as the rebate.
    I dont get how they have got to that figure and have rung them up to clarify how they reached those figures. They were a bit vague with me andtherefore I wasnt completely satisfied with their answer. The link below is a copy of the profit/loss report. Does the figure they are quoting for the rebate add up correctly? How does CIS tax return work?
    Thanks in advance for any feedback I receive ;)

markssmellysocks.angelfi.re.com/PROFIT-LOSS_ACCOUNT_2009.rtf

*angelfi.re is meant to be !!!!!!!!!*
  • greenelephant_2
    Options
    can anyone help?
  • fengirl_2
    fengirl_2 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Options
    Can't make this link work. What information did you provide them with about your expenditure?
    £705,000 raised by client groups in the past 18 mths :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport