Is Offsetting the route to be mortgage free for me?

Options
Hi Guys and Gals!

:beer:

Our Natwest 5.59% 2 year fixed deal has finally come to an end. This is our first mortgage and we have 23 years left to run :(

Ideally we would like to pay off our mortgage ASAP, so with this in mind I’ve been looking at moving to an offset deal.

We have approx £110,000 outstanding on our mortgage and our property is worth a 'realistic' £180,000. Our joint income into our household is approx £5k per month, and I have saved £40k to put towards paying a chunk from our outstanding mortgage.

So I entered the following details into the one account mortgage calculator:-

Value of home: £180,000
How much do you want to borrow: £110,000
Repayment method: Capital and interest
Total income paid into account each month: £5,000
How much left in account after all outgoings: £2,000
How much could you increase your repayments by each year: 0%
Savings to pay into the one account: £40,000
Lump sum payments: £0

The result?
Our mortgage will be paid off in 2 years & 5 months! :)
The total interest paid over this time period? £2977 - £102.65 a month.
Saving 20 years and 7 months and £51k+ in interest.

The other advantage I see is that by using an offset mortgage I will effectively have a overdraft facility of £110,000. So should the money be needed for a rainy day or future investments it seems fairly easy to access.

The possibility of being mortgage free in 2 years and 5 months is fantastic, it does seem to good to be true. So now I’m thinking I have overlooked something, or haven't realised some of the negatives that could be involved in offsetting.

Could I please ask for some advice however basic or in detail, just to make sure I haven't overlooked something obvious!

Thanks in advance!

Nice_guy

P.S - If there are any one account customers out there PM me, I think if you recommend me to the one account they will pay me and you £125.

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport