'ThinkJessica Campaign: Fighting Scam mail' blog discussion

This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.
Click reply to discuss below.

Comments

• cheapscate
    cheapscate Posts: 530 Forumite
    This is a really worthwhile campaign that highlights how vulnerable people can be preyed upon by unscrupulous people. MSE already discusses 0870 numbers and scam competitions on the vents and warnings section but perhaps a sticky thread could be put in there with deatails of the ThinkJessica campaign.
  • MadMac_2
    MadMac_2 Posts: 1,173 Forumite
    Cheapscate, I agree and think that is a good idea. As to the moral dilemma re the number issue, could the MSE charity assist not with money, but with the know-how clout and connections to get a more suitable number made available at a suitably minimal cost? With Martin behind it I'm sure that could be achieved, curing both problems - a cheaper rate number and the chance to help in a suitable way.
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,692
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I remember seeing this lady on the TV and I do hope that Martin can help in any way possible, their story is horrifying.
  • mikki-b
    mikki-b Posts: 61 Forumite
    Maybe since the royal mail have a legal obligation to deliver all mail, perhaps they should consider funding an 0800 number for this.

Just a thought.
    Mikk
  • poppy10_2
    poppy10_2 Posts: 6,568
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I spoke about the 0871 issue, which is in her words “not something I knew about, I’ll try and get it changed”
    Her website makes it clear she knows all about the 0871 issue and is using it as a revenue source. She'll be getting paid at least 4p a minute.

If she makes the campaign a registered charity she can get one of the new 0303 numbers for as little as £10 a month - it won't take much in donations to fund that. Heck, I'll put up the money myself. Calls to 0303 numbers are included in free monthly allowances from mobiles and landlines.
    poppy10
  • sdooley
    sdooley Posts: 918 Forumite
    I never knew Reader's Digest was such a scam.
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Maybe ask them to put a note on the posters saying that the high cost of the call helps fund the campaign?

Also, if that is the exact wording of the poster, make sure they use "their" rather than "there"!
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,273
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Money Saving Expert
    poppy10 wrote: »
    Her website makes it clear she knows all about the 0871 issue and is using it as a revenue source. She'll be getting paid at least 4p a minute.

If she makes the campaign a registered charity she can get one of the new 0303 numbers for as little as £10 a month - it won't take much in donations to fund that. Heck, I'll put up the money myself. Calls to 0303 numbers are included in free monthly allowances from mobiles and landlines.

According to her when I spoke to her, she isnt making any money from the phone line - that doesn't surprise me quite a few small companies sign up to these thinking its good its "free". So while she's aware of the cost for calling, I don't think (or so she said) that she was aware of teh revenue sharing issue.

Martin
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • MothballsWallet
    MothballsWallet Posts: 15,851
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    It's a worthwhile one, Martin - also non-geographical numbers have to terminate on a geographical one anyway, so if Marilyn can get the geographical number out there as well, it'll help.
  • irrelevant
    irrelevant Posts: 257
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    poppy10 wrote: »

No need to be a charity, and no need to pay that much - you can get 0333 numbers for £1.15/month.. Free delivery of calls via VoIP to a phone or server of your choice, or, possibly more usefully in this case, to voicemail with a customisable message.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure