Reclaiming overpaid tax

Options
Not entirely sure this is the right place, but if not im sure there is someone who can point me in the right direction.

Basically over the years I have worked a number of different jobs often 2 or 3 at once meaning various tax codes. However for at least 2 of the years I earnt below the tax threshold. So, if not being stupid that means that I should have the additional money returned.

I once managed to claim back all charges owed before the tax year 2005 (basically through visiting the office everyday until they sorted it). However everytime I go to my local tax office they tell me to phone a number which are completley unhelpful.

So my question is how do I solve this? If i write to someone, who and what do I include? Currently in finanical difficulties so the quicker I get it the better....I can dream :p

Thanks

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You can write to the tax office which deals with your current main employer. That would be the employer who pays you the most money or who is operating code 647L.

Depending on how far back you want HMRC to review you will then supply them with a full chronological employment history including start and end dates and any periods of unemployment and taxable benefit claims. This is so HMRC can account for any gaps in the records they hold which is more likely when a taxpayer has several jobs or changes jobs frequently.

You should send all P45's and P60's for those employments/taxable benefit claims with your letter and HMRC will assess each year, issue a calculation for each year and then issue a refund if applicable.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 April 2009 at 8:02AM
    Options
    I once managed to claim back all charges owed before the tax year 2005 (basically through visiting the office everyday until they sorted it). However everytime I go to my local tax office they tell me to phone a number which are completley unhelpful.

Channelling you to the phones is now HMRC policy, they would prefer all taxpayers to access HMRC by phone or to get their answers from the internet. However if your local tax office is an HMRC Enquiry centre then you can make an appointment to sit down with an advisor and you can give them all your employment details and documents and they can check to see if you are due a refund. They would then pass the details to your tax office to process.

Encouraging the public to use the phone or the internet means less staff are required and more buildings can be closed/sold off. A good idea in theory if the internet was easy to navigate and if the Contact Centres like most contact centres didn't have such a huge turnover in staff due to the monotony of the job.
    I would recommend making use of the Enquiry centres whilst they are still available.:rolleyes:

OK I'll get off my soapbox now and hope you get things sorted ok.
  • PlutoinCapricorn
    Options
    I thought that these things sorted themselves out at the end of each tax year. Also, the main employer usually takes the personal allowance off, and the others give you a tax code of BR i.e. Basic Rate.

Do you fill in tax return forms? If so, if you file online in the future and do it as soon as possible any tax owing should come to to in a few weeks.
    Who having known the diamond will concern himself with glass?

Rudyard Kipling

• Despairing83
    Options
    Hi guys

Just thought I would update you on my tax saga. After going into the tax office again and being told that I had to call the call centre I actually spat my dummy! I never complain but well after 5 years of getting nowhere I snapped! I told them I did not have time to make the call and that if they havent been able to sort it in 5 years why do you think they would on this occassion. When they realised I was not going to call the call centre they actually offered me a face to face interview (took place today)

You will never guess what I found out? Apparently 22 months ago they sent me a cheque for £850 which I never received! Not only that but I will be owed more on top. Also the advisor agreed with me, there was no way my case could be settled over the phone due to the complexity. If I had not seen someone face to face I would never known about the cheque that never appeared!!!

Been told to chase them up in a month if I have not received my cheque. At last my tax will be sorted an I can start on my self assesment from last year!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure