PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Do you use Calgon?

Options
13»

Comments

• kazmeister
    Options
    We replaced our washing machine in January with a new Bosch. The plumber who came and fittted it, came from a family run business where they sell both new and reconditioned machines (which they do themselves). He asked me to put a load on while he was there which I thought a bit odd until he saw the amount of powder and fabric conditioner I was using. He told me to use half of what I was of both as he said any more would just clog up the machine and wouldnt make a difference to the cleaning.

He also said that a new machine was the time to use CALGON or soda crystals. Calgon PREVENTS the build up of limescale but cannot get rid of it. He said to use 1 tablet every 4 or 5 washes to keep it clean. I alternate every 4/5 washes with calgon and SC.
    Mortgage, we're getting there with the end in sight £6587 07/23, otherwise free of the debt thanks to MSE help!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I only ever use one washing tablet per wash, as my clothes are changed daily they are rarely that mucky It's not as though I am down the pit evey day I could never see the point of using two washing tablets
  • nesssie1702
    Options
    Thankfully I live in an area where the water is very soft, so have never used Calgon, nor have I used vinegar/soda crystals in my wash either.

Am I right in thinking that vinegar and soda crystals will both do the job of neutralising the limescale because of their acidic pH? (The limescale will be have an alkali pH - knew that Chemistry would come in useful!?!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure