Tax rebate - But when???

Options
Hi,

I am hoping you can help here. I was made redundant in August last year and am aware that now the tax year has come to an end, I am entitled to a tax rebate of around £2,500. I am very keen to get this money as I really need it to live on.

I spoke to the HMRC who told me that I would receive a rebate in due course, I asked when and I was simply told in due course!

Does anyone know when I will get this rebate? I have been and still am claiming job seekers allowance.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Totally without prejudice! All views are those of the individual and at no time should be constituted as advice.

Comments

• fengirl_2
    fengirl_2 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Options
    The JC should have made a refund in your last JSA payment. If they havn't you will need to wait until the JC sends you your P60U (some time this month) - then you can send it to your tax office and ask them to make the refund.
    £705,000 raised by client groups in the past 18 mths :beer:
  • northerner79
    Options
    My last JSA signing date was the 5th April 2009. I am no longer receiving any benefits, just my stamp. I will check for the P60 I get in the post, should that arrive shortly? I will then forward to the Inland Revenue for the Rebate, I am suprised that I have not recieved the rebate in my JSA payment, it seems slightly odd when people at HMRC have confirmed I am due a rebate. I hope my P60 arrives soon then,

Thanks
    Totally without prejudice! All views are those of the individual and at no time should be constituted as advice.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If any taxpayers record does not balance at the end of the tax year the PAYE system automatically creates a worklist item. There are thousands upon thousands of records which don't balance and so end up on worklists. This has got worse over the years as people change jobs more frequently.

The staff will work through the worklists throughout the year and unless you write in to HMRC and specifically ask for a review of the year you just have to wait until they get to your name. Writing in means you are jumping the queue as post is usually higher priority than worklists.
  • Any
    Any Posts: 7,944 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My last JSA signing date was the 5th April 2009. I am no longer receiving any benefits, just my stamp. I will check for the P60 I get in the post, should that arrive shortly? I will then forward to the Inland Revenue for the Rebate, I am suprised that I have not recieved the rebate in my JSA payment, it seems slightly odd when people at HMRC have confirmed I am due a rebate. I hope my P60 arrives soon then,

Thanks

I suppose the company is still going? If so, then you should receive your P60 any time soon - you couldn't get it before 5th April as that was the end of tax year for PAYE.
    I would ring the company and ask them to make sure they have your correct address etc., just to make sure you get it and you are keen on getting it ASAP... :D
  • fengirl_2
    fengirl_2 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Options
    No, a misunderstanding here - you will NOT get a P60 from your previous employer. You are awaiting a P60U from the JC. They are issued some time this month.
    £705,000 raised by client groups in the past 18 mths :beer:
  • northerner79
    Options
    Does anyone know when I should expect my P60U?

Thanks for all your help! I am not flapping just eager to get the tax back as I am nearly broke!!

Thanks again
  • kpankhurst
    Options
    Does anyone know when I should expect my P60U?

Thanks for all your help! I am not flapping just eager to get the tax back as I am nearly broke!!

Thanks again

I just got my P60U and it doesn't include the payment from the P45 that I gave them.

My P45 says I got paid £27399.80 and paid £7944.00 in tax. My P60U just has the benefit I received, which is £1573 and no tax paid. What should I do now? Is this wrong? Should I claim my tax back from the goverment sending off the P45 and the P60U?

Thanks,

Kevin
  • northerner79
    Options
    Kevin,

I think you should probably get the address of your local tax office. Copy both the P60U and the P45 and take them along with a letter requesting your rebate as a matter of urgency.

If you find out the process please let me know.

Regards
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure