PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

save on your electricity  

Options

Comments

• cathy_3
    cathy_3 Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    NOW THAT IS WHAT I CALL A BRAINWAVE!!!!

cant understand why i never thought of that meself cos I always run the hot water tap in the sink before I start using the shower attatchement on the taps. (our power shower is broken so we use that for a shower)

so I dont have to stand there in the bath waiting for the hot water to come through.

thanks again for that one one of the best for ages
    :-* :-*
  • mrcow
    mrcow Posts: 15,170 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Excellent tip - thanks pitsray ;D

I'm afraid I'm another avid tumble dryer fan. Any heavy items (jeans etc.) get slung over the radiators though (even in this weather they dry out soon enough).

I bought a washing line last year, haven't even put it out this year  :-[  Not so much because of potential insects in my knickers, more to do with the fact that I always forget to bring it in and am scared stiff of bringing in washing in the dark (what a useless excuse - I know!!). Old habits die hard  :-[

I'll try the towel tip (thanks) as I must waste so much money/energy drying clothes.

As for handwashing dishes and clothes before they go in the machine - isn't life a little bit too short for that?  ??? (no offence intended!).
    "One day I realised that when you are lying in your grave, it's no good saying, "I was too shy, too frightened."
    Because by then you've blown your chances. That's it."
  • cathy_3
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think my auntie likes to make a meal of everything so she feels wanted or to let the rest of us know that we dont clean up as good as she does

I shut her up cos shed drone on and on about how well shed cleaned up that day when she said

I put the sheets in the bath to soak them before I put them in the washing machine and I take them out of the machine and rinse and rinse them by hand , then put them back for a spin

so I said

well, id make them all get a shower more often cos if you have to do that to your sheets they must be filthy thats disgusting, my sheets can go in a warm wash and come out spotless without all that palaver

she shut up after that

::) ::) ::) ::)
  • Joe_Bloggs
    Joe_Bloggs Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    Options
    Great posts and i was in a fit of laughter with Cathy's earwig incident.
    I must disagree with pitspray's washing machine hot water comment. Most modern washing machines heat their own water from the cold supply. The hot supply is too variable a temperature to be counted upon.

Drying clothes/bedding outside might not be a good idea for chronic hayfeaver sufferers during the months that the pollen grains blow around.
    J_B.
  • Pat__3
    Pat__3 Posts: 2,880 Forumite
    Options
    Great ideas.

Thanks Cathy & Pitspray

Will try them both ;D

I would have had a fit if it would have been me Cathy with the earwig they give me the creeps.
    I also don't like centipedes the big ones they remind me of lots of earwigs attached :o Yuk
  • cathy_3
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    that left me deeply traumatised I can tell you

but not as deeply traumatised as the day I donned my new cozzy out of the wardrobe and went to the beach with the kids in it,

all the way there something was sticking into my hip  and Id put my hand down and try to feel what it was.
    felt a nylon cordy thing and thought it was that sticky outy bit your left with if you rip the tag off something  

you know, that clear plastic thing

so Im on the beach and its getting worse so I thought  ill have to rip it off and if it rips a hole  tough   cos this is annooying me

i stuck my hand down and pulled out

a huge  huge  brown  horrible vile  cockroach

it was sitting in the palm of my hand and almost filled it

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH

cyprus was great but it has huge insects let me tell you

and they all seemed to be attracted to my drawers !!!!!
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    on the knicker comment, i always dry mine outside, inside out, so have to right them before wearing. woirks for me
  • jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    Options
    wow fab tip. i prob only use the tumbly a few times a month as trying to not use it.

would this work using any size towel or only a bath towel ?
  • whatatwit
    whatatwit Posts: 5,424 Forumite
    Options
    Think it depends on how much you are trying to dry.

If the dryer is already full, then cramming a towel in won't really help much.

I work at a launderette and as stuff starts to dry, then it does seem to move about the drum more, and as a previous poster mentioned, it will absorb the steam.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I use my drier rarely, like tonight with several sheets and a duvet to wash as DS is poorly, but always do this with a towel, something my Dad and Grandma used to do.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure