PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Brilliant cookbook!

Just wanted to tell everyone to try and read Glynn Christian's "How to cook without recipes", I got it from the library a couple of days ago and have just ordered myself a copy. It's fascinating, explains all about flavours and which go together, then goes on to explain all the different methods of cooking and the effect they have on food. There are a few recipes but they are more examples of how to do something.
At the end there's a really funny chapter " The Poncing About Factor " which pokes fun at "pointless ingredients, useless techniques & bad writing".
As you can see I love this book!

Comments

• lucy*locket
    lucy*locket Posts: 444 Forumite
    Thanks, I love a good cookbook, off to check this one out at Amazon (along with everyone else):D
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Cooking without recipes is a skill that most cooks pick up as they go along. Successful catering for a family depends on being able to create from what you have using your understanding of underlying principles. I very rarely use recipes now (only for stuff I've never done before). Sounds like an interesting book though, I'll look out for it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure