DMP and new job dilemma....

Options
Hi All!

I am desperately seeking some advice! Hubby and I are about to apply for a DMP because we have hit crisis point and we had been postponing it because hubby was applying for a new job and we were waiting to hear because it will affect our situation. This job pays more but doesn't have a company car option (he currently has a company car at the moment) and we both have to have cars for work, so we had decided that if he got the job, he would have my car and I would get a lease car through work (I work for the NHS and can get a lease car through my job).

Well, hubby got a call today offering him the job but on a fixed term 1 year contract, not permanent as we had hoped (there was 1 permanent and 1 fixed term and the permanent went to an internal candidate). They have said that there is a good chance that it will be made permanent as there are people expected to retire very soon, but no guarantee. I immediately said no way because it's too risky and we can't be in the position where he is out of work in 1 year, especially considering how the job market has been affected by the credit crunch. I think it would be incredibly irresponsible considering we are about to start a DMP but I feel so bad for hubby because this job potentially opens up his career path far more than he would ever be able to access where he is now.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom??!! I don't think it will look good if he leaves a permanent job for a fixed term contract, especially considering the car situation etc etc! I am convinced it would be a very bad decision for him to take it, but I also feel as though I could be cutting off his options. Help!!! :confused:

Comments

• Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    1 year is a long time. It's better to ask yourself are you willing to take the risk of potentially not having a job in a years time, or running the risk of never getting the career he wants.

I wish I had 1 year contracts in my career.

My advice... go for the job. It's a year's experience, with the potential for a long term job. Once he's got the job and the experience it will be so much easier for him to move up in his career.
  • Candy0107
    Candy0107 Posts: 1,642 Forumite
    Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Go for the job!

I am a temp on a DMP, and I have only missed 1 payment in 2 years, as I was moving to a monthly paid job and had other bills to pay!

In a year something else will come up.

Take care
    Candy xxx
    Debts at the start of my journey - about £23,000 lightbulb moment 01.03.2007 (1st payment to CCCS)..Debt Free Date 25.06.2013 Deposit savings £17,000/£30,000
  • boo80
    boo80 Posts: 482 Forumite
    Options
    Hi hunnybee, do you have to mention that it is only a 12 month contract? The way I see it is there is very little job security wherever you work at the moment, and yes, your husband could be out of work this time next year, but who can say they know for sure they'll have their job in a years time??
  • piptom&AndyPandy
    Options
    I agree go for it, I was with a company supposedly perm, they let me go and didn't pay me. Go for it, if made perm great if not then should still open doors for him.

Pipx
    Looking for solutions and hoping for a miracle!
  • BuddyBonthenet
    Options
    I would also take the job for the reasons already given.

I know when you are in a secure job (like the NHS) something like this can be very scary because I thought like that when I was in the Civil Service for over 20 years until I took the plunge and moved into the private sector (no regrets at all).

But fixed term contracts are so common these days in the public & private sector and I don't remember anyone ever being let go at the end of their contract unless they were no good at their job! Normally they are made permanent or move to another job within the organisation and although they may have to apply for the job in question, they will have had the advantage of already being known to the company.

I wouldn't even mention that the job is a fixed term contract as he will have the normal rights of a permanent employee for those 12 months.
    Numpties...I'm surrounded by them...save me...:whistle:
  • hunnybee
    hunnybee Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate your advice. We have decided to take the chance and hubby has accepted the job! I'm a little nervous I have to admit but he really deserves this chance and I would feel horrible if he had to pass up the opportunity of a lifetime. Like many of you said, we don't have to say it's a fixed term contract and a year is a long time, hopefully he can show them what he's made of, a permanent position will come up and all my worrying will be for nothing!

I think what we will do is ask my Mum is we can borrow some money to tide us over the next couple of months and then apply for the DMP once he is in post and we know what our income will be and give me the chance to get a lease car arranged for myself.

Thanks again for replying, I really appreciate it! :D :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport