Saving for my wedding whilst planning it!!

Hi everyone.. i’m getting married in June 2010. we have finally paid off all our debts (credit cards and overdrafts) and we are now free!!! Yeah!!! :j Now, all our spare money can go onto saving for our wedding and a deposit for a house.

We are confident that we can have an amazing (obviously this is relative, and it what’s important and amazing for us is different for everyone else) wedding for 8k.
So we will be saving for the wedding as we plan it.. is this crazy?

Now, we know that’s how much we will be spending (8K) but I just don’t know how much to allocate to each thing?? I’ve already have my dress and shoes.

Any help will be great.

Comments

• jeski
    jeski Posts: 63 Forumite
    My wedding came in at around 8k. We had a late service in church, so only fed our guests once at around 6:30 but by time everyone had finished it was 8pm. We had 130 guests and the reception in a hotel. There was no room hire charge as March is classed as being outside the wedding season by the venue we used. We dressed me, hubby, son, best man and three bridesmaids, decorated a ballroom with thirteen tables, had a fork buffet and put wine on tables and 1k behind the bar. Definitely do able if you are careful.
  • Swans1912
    Swans1912 Posts: 1,658 Forumite
    congrats on setting a date and paying off all your debts! Give us the details! Church wedding or reg office? UK or abroad? How many guests? etc. We have yet to set a date but most likely be 2011 but we will go abroad with close family only (who will also pay for their own flights and accommodation!)
  • TugaGirl
    TugaGirl Posts: 80 Forumite
    Really?? That is very good!! We’re having a Friday wedding so there was an offer that we took. 3K for wedding breakfast for 50 guests (3 course meal, wine with meal and sparkling wine for toast) and evening buffet, it also includes welcoming drinks (pimms I think). We will get the honeymoon suite on the night and they offer special rates for our guests. We are planning on having more guests and want to get married in a room where they don’t normally have Friday wedding, so all in all, with no money behind the bar (which I feel like I have to do – I’m stupid I know) it comes to around four and a half grand.
  • Swans1912
    Swans1912 Posts: 1,658 Forumite
    money behind the bar?? i feel like a right scrooge now hahaha!!
  • TugaGirl
    TugaGirl Posts: 80 Forumite
    Well in total we will invite around 60 people for the day and around 80 for the evening. It will be here but we’ll have around 20 people coming from Portugal (that’s where I’m from) for the wedding. Again, I was hoping to pay for their flights and accommodation, but no idea how much that will be!
  • xJayJayx
    xJayJayx Posts: 616 Forumite
    our wedding is to cost £4,495 for 120 guests (60 day & 60 evening)
    It includes:
    Wedding co-ordinator to help plan your special day
    Bucks fizz or equivalent reception drink
    3 course silver service meal with coffee, tea and mints
    ½ a bottle of house wine per guest
    A glass of sparkling wine for each guest during the toast
    Evening finger buffet
    Ceremony area and function suite
    Cake stand and knife
    Cake cutting and wrapping
    Evening disco

Everything else including dresses, suits, photographer, flowers & cake etc . we plan to get for £1,500.
    No church for us just all under one roof which is good and the venue is fantastic.

You should be able to do it all for 8k but i wouldn't spend out on things that aren't needed and spend the money you save on something else.
  • jeski
    jeski Posts: 63 Forumite
    That sounds like a really good offer from your venue. I paid about 4k in total for a fork buffet with desserts for 130, choice of sparkling wine or bottled beer for reception drink, sparkling wine for toasts, corkage to cover enough wine to put three bottles out per table - and the wine, tea and coffee with mints after the meal, and the money behind the bar. The room dressing and DJ I sorted out myself. Its the little bits of things that really eat into your budget without realising it though.
  • xJayJayx
    xJayJayx Posts: 616 Forumite
    i forgot to add, we're getting married on a saturday too.
  • I am getting married in vegas in august and we didnt save just saved and paid things off otherwise we wouldnt have done it. We decided to go abroad to save but its going to cost us about 10k!!!!
    So it looks like we are paying out ads much as we would of done here!
    Loves Vegas shopping and beauty products!
  • Hi there, I have a budget of 2 grand and we are getting married 5th December this year!!! We are paying for everything as we go along, by budgeting with the spare cash we have each month. In order to get it right and within budget, I am making loads of things myself and I have trawled the internet costing everything and writing it down. I then know how much to allocate to each thing. With an 8 grand budget I ma sure you can do it, as I will be having my perfect day with 2 grand. We are having a late afternoon ceremony with a hot and cold buffet, no wedding breakfast, in the most beautiful hotel. The whole thing is costing £1,000 so I have £1,000 left for everything else.

Good luck and let us know how you get on, Tiger x
    Married the most amazing man 05/12/09 and it was the best day ever, I'm a Mrs, he he!!
    :j
    Wins 2009: Peroni Alessi bowl woohoo, 1 in 10 wins DVD from Maltesers, Avon lippy!!!
    Freebies-Bold Gel, Coffee
    Pinecone Research - £9
    Mystery Shopping - £15
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills