Negative equity and secured loans

Hi,
I am in negative equity with my first mortgage. I am struggling and wondered if I stop paying my secured loans with picture/WF would they repossess me as they would get zero from any forced sale. Any thoughts

Comments

• You'd still owe them the money unfortunately, so they would be looking for some kind of payment from you. Hop over to the Debt Free wannabe Board for some advice on how to proceed

Good luck
    AMD
    Debt Free!!!
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,942 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    forumman wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am in negative equity with my first mortgage. I am struggling and wondered if I stop paying my secured loans with picture/WF would they repossess me as they would get zero from any forced sale. Any thoughts

If they understood that they would get zero and that they would have the costs of the repo and subsequent sale and no way of getting reimbursement, logically they should make the decision not to repossess.

Firstly that requires joined up thinking. The arrears department to be in touch with the department responsible for cost benefit analysis. Secondly the lender will be aware of the message that this sends out.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • forumman_2
    forumman_2 Posts: 37 Forumite
    Thanks for the reply. To be honest I think I'm safe to do it from the paper work/court point of view but I know that WF will be very aggressive including no doubt sending the 'heavies' round. Picture on the other hand seem much nicer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure