Cambelt Change - How do I know it's right?

Options
Keith
Keith Posts: 2,924 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Probably nice and simple this, but I'm a tad worried!

At the weekend I fitted a new cambelt to my car, as per the Haynes. I rotated the engine and checked I could still get the timing pins in. And rotating it again and again and checked again.

I then rotated it again and again. Had some tea, and rotated it again :rotfl:

Now, the key moment, firing it up.

How do I know it's all ok before I turn the key? I guess I've passed the moment of no return as the damage would of been done whilst rotating the engine?

Ta

Comments

• Sidmon
    Sidmon Posts: 162 Forumite
    Options
    Any problems with timing would have been noticable when you manually turned the engine as it would have been noticably difficult to do and you'd have heard and felt valves touching pistons. Get her fired up and keeps those fingers crossed!
  • goldspanners
    goldspanners Posts: 5,910 Forumite
    Options
    after youve turned the engine a full revoloution by hand check the marks all line up as they did before you done the belt. if it wasnt right the engine would lock up and you wouldnt be able to turn it.
    its scary the first turn of the key,theres always that little doubt.
    ...work permit granted!
  • CHR15
    CHR15 Posts: 5,193 Forumite
    Options
    I remember that heart stopping moment I started my car after changing one for the first time.

Just make sure it is quiet so the instant you hear something not quite right, shut it off

I was more concerned about the tension being correct, the old Cavalier was quite simple from a timing perspective.

Good luck :)
  • Locknut
    Locknut Posts: 436 Forumite
    Options
    It sounds like you have done everything right and as has been said you would have noticed something wrong turning it over manualy. But coming form a previous mechanic for over 10 years you always have the "have I cocked something up" thought when you first turn the key.:D
  • harveybobbles
    harveybobbles Posts: 8,973 Forumite
    Options
    Maybe keep rotating the engine a few more times Keith...
  • thescouselander
    Options
    after youve turned the engine a full revoloution by hand check the marks all line up as they did before you done the belt. if it wasnt right the engine would lock up and you wouldnt be able to turn it.
    its scary the first turn of the key,theres always that little doubt.

Wouldn't you need to turn the crank shaft 2 revolutions before you get the cam shaft back to the same position for the marks to line up?
  • steveo3002
    steveo3002 Posts: 2,731 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    its long as its been turned over multiple times and rechecked its fine

is it a manual tensioner or automatic? they tend to howl if you get them too tight , i usualy pop the cover and recheck the tension after a week just to put my mind at ease
  • david29dpo
    david29dpo Posts: 3,748 Forumite
    Options
    A said above, the tension is very important. When i did an old Lotus I was s**ting bricks before i started it!
  • goldspanners
    goldspanners Posts: 5,910 Forumite
    Options
    Wouldn't you need to turn the crank shaft 2 revolutions before you get the cam shaft back to the same position for the marks to line up?

i didnt say crankshaft, i said engine, so that the engine has completed a full revoloution,noty just the crank shaft, turn it so all cylinders have hit tdc and all valves have opened and closed.
    ...work permit granted!
  • Keith
    Keith Posts: 2,924 Forumite
    Options
    Maybe keep rotating the engine a few more times Keith...

Good plan, I shall pop into the lockup tomorrow :D

I've repeatedly checked the timing holes with timing pins. I'm waiting for a replacement crank pulley to arrive before I can attempt to start it. The engine has been in bits for a headgasket change so I hope I've put it back together right :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure