Pc Bargin or maybe not?!

Options
Pc world currently have an advent T1 pc + 17tft widscreen monitor reduced from 1399.99 to 999.99 but if u use the 5% discount code u get 50.00 off it making the total 959.98 (the discount code is DCBYAW ) U can also pay monthly insatlements aswell. Now i dont know much bout computers so dont know if this is a good deal or not..what do u think?
Heres the spec..

Intel Pentium 4 Processor

3.2GHz Clock Speed

800MHz FSB

512Kb Cache

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

512Mb RAM Memory

250Gb Hard Drive

17" Widescreen Flat Panel Display

Multiformat DVD Rewriter Drive

Wireless Network Enabled

OFFER ENDS TUESDAY!!!!!!

Comments

• royalsteve
    Options
    Pc world currently have an advent T1 pc + 17tft widscreen monitor reduced from 1399.99 to 999.99 but if u use the 5% discount code u get 50.00 off it making the total 959.98 (the discount code is DCBYAW ) U can also pay monthly insatlements aswell. Now i dont know much bout computers so dont know if this is a good deal or not..what do u think?
    Heres the spec..

Intel Pentium 4 Processor

3.2GHz Clock Speed

800MHz FSB

512Kb Cache

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

512Mb RAM Memory

250Gb Hard Drive

17" Widescreen Flat Panel Display

Multiformat DVD Rewriter Drive

Wireless Network Enabled

OFFER ENDS TUESDAY!!!!!!

i wouldnt pay that much for a PC nowadays....you could opt for a marginally slower Dell but with a newer chip with more cache, 1mb (3ghz, 800fsb, 1mb cache, pcci express 128mb graphics card, smaller h/disk 160gb) for 649 delivered/inc vat...

depends what you think of Dell (i.e just hope it doesnt go wrong!, though same could be said of PCworld...forever pushing up prices!)...and what you need it for....

i used to build my own, not worth it now unless upgradadility is a key requirement....

pre-built systems have pathetic motherboards....very little upgradability.... an Acer PC i looked at had no spare slots for extra devices (2nd hard disk/extra dvd writer/etc), 2 memory slots...yep..great...

have been into computers for well over 20 years and despite these isues there is no real financial benefit in building your own system now.
    Stevie Coppell's record breaking blue and white royal army - championship winners 2005-6
  • ian_mitchell_2
    Options
    check this one out: http://www.pcpro.co.uk/labs/66010/jal-daphne.html the reviews at PC Pro are very good.

I guide my purchases based on their A list. Good stuff.
  • wombar
    wombar Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    Self building can still be very cost effective depedning on what you're going to use the PC for.

If you want to play a lot of games, do some video editing and mix 30 tracks of audio then self build can save you a lot of money compared to the likes of Dell and PCWorld.

If you all you need to do is surf the net and write some letters then Dell have this market pretty much sewn up, £200 for a decent net system is a bargain.

I personally build all my PCs but I have requirements that can't be met by retailers for a sensible price. If I'm asked to build a PC for someone I tend to send them Dells way because they don't need a super powerful system.

Just ask yourself what you need a PC for before you decide whether to buy or build.
    I say what I like, I like what I say!
  • bleughbleugh
    Options
    Don't assume that just because PCworld is a high street chain, that you'll get high street service,

avoid them like the plague unless you can get a very good deal,
    go with a mail order company (like dell) if you're looking for after sales service,

PC-WORLD's idea of customer service is a premium rate number and two to three weeks sending it off to be fixed!

(i repair PC's for friends / family and local people, and the number that are annoyed at DSG retail customer support is worrying)
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always recieve lots
  • ;D I always use dell for my PC's, they spec the machine for the job you want to use it for, and as you can only buy them direct you don't get the usual rip-off.

Try [url][/url]http://www.dell.com
  • gpswally
    Options
    Always check the Aldi website for great PC deals before deciding to buy elsewhere, they do well in all the PC mags when tested.

As with al items bought from Aldi they have a 12 month no quibble guarantee and it's exactly that.

I've bought my PC, digital camera, sat nav and many more items and have always been well satisfied. ;D
    Nice to save.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport