Any hairdressers on the forum ?

HELP

I need advice
I'm hoping some of the other ladies here may have had this problem & can help me find a good solution

I had a disater with home dyeing & became an all over blonde about 6 months ago

Natural hair colour mid/dark brown speckled I suspect with some greys
My hairdresser (well I go to whichever ones got an offer on highlights)
Usually does 1 my natural colour plus 2 shades of blonde one mid & one highlift/bleach

Hope this makes sense so far
Anyway I have chronic roots :eek: Hubby just got made redundant
Mother has offered to pay as she can see how it makes me feel having a runway down the middle of my bonce :confused:

Now i'm thinking I can't afford highlights every 5 - 6 weeks anymore
A half head or T piece is not going to be very economic either (as its not much different to a full head price) and the regrowth underneath will show through

More home dyeing is not a good idea as I have so many colours & regrowth it needs doing properly

I'm thinking should I get lots more natural colour put through and only 1 blonde ?
Or Have it all dyed to a mid brown then have highlights put through ? (or will I end up with a tram line of roots,plus roots regrowth with this one)

The grow it out & go au natural is not an option
My hair is half way down my back and is my pride & joy (except the roots )
It's the only thing I get compliments on these days

Any ideas ?

Sorry if it's in the wrong place I didn't know where to put it
"Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes." :cool:

All truth goes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Then, it is violently opposed. Finally, it is accepted as self-evident.

Comments

• Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Hello missymugwump

I'll move your thread to the 'Health & Beauty' board.

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].

Regards

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • missymugwump
    missymugwump Posts: 1,171 Forumite
    Thank you
    I didn't know there was one LOL

All truth goes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Then, it is violently opposed. Finally, it is accepted as self-evident.
  • vicks276
    vicks276 Posts: 834 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hey hun, sorry to hear about hubby x

Regarding the hair - what about having it dyed the natural colour, and have flashes/slices of blondes put through? The way they are placed means that the roots dont show, as most hairdressers would leave the top layer of your hair natural, then put these flashes underneath, keeping the roots hidden. It still looks good, they are a bit thicker than normal highlights and you can take a longer break between having the roots done.

Vicks xx
    :heart2: Stuff & Thangs :heart2:
  • although I am not a hairdresser, I too colour my hair at home but I use professional products bought either on ebay or at the local hairdresser's suppliers.

I use Koleston colours by Wella, check out their website to choose your colours & put slices of blonde wrapped either in foil or use meche if I can get hold of it & a shade almost the same as my own to cover up the grey.

You can't go wrong with these colours as they stop working when they are done, get yourself a couple of colouring dishes & brushes & some 9% peroxide. Each tube of colour lasts me about 3 months & I recolour every
    3-4 weeks.

3 tubes & peroxide usually costs me about £20.
  • missymugwump
    Thanks ladies Natalie6999
    I have often wondered about doing it myself
    But I worry about doing the back ?
    And about getting the amount to apply correct

Did you find it easy to do ?
    I do have very long thick hair

• Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Does your current hairdresser do her own staff training? If they do then you might be able to get a junior to do it under supervision for the the cost of materials and time?

My hairdresser's junior is often looking for models and the last time I had mine cut and coloured for £20, admittedly it can take a long time.
  • Hi there,

I am a hairdresser and I agree with what vicks276 says. That is a good option and it will be even cheaper if you do as Edinburghlass says, and go to a salon that need models for their trainees.

If you have long thick hair, I wouldn't advise you get your own professional products to use. getting the right colours mixed with the correct peroxide strengths and then applying it to long thick hair isn't easy to do yourself.
  • Natalie6999
    Natalie6999 Posts: 402 Forumite
    I use a magnifying mirror & if I am having problems at the back, I get my OH to tell me if the packets are even.

My hair is in a shoulder length bob & is also quite thick.
  • missymugwump
    Well I have printed out 10 different colour images of highlighted hair that looks more natural and less likely to cause a runway effect

I am going to trawl around all the hair places in town ask there advice (for free) show them the look im thinking of and see if anyone is doing good deals
    And see what advice they give me

I am reluctant to home dye
    If I am going to spend I need to make it count so it makes it cheaper to maintain by needing doing less often

I soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo wish I had never done that home dye all over then I wouldn't be in this mess

• JayJay14
    JayJay14 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Have you tried your local college?
    I have an appointment tomorrow morning - have been useing them for about 18 months now. I'll be having a cut with a full head colour then highlights in 2 or 3 other shades. It will cost me about £6-£7. I've never had any disasters cos the tutors are keeping a close eye on what the students do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure