We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Did i do a big mistake?

Options
This question relates to my cv and me getting a new job.

Basically i was working for 1 year at a panasonic shop but I threw away all my pay slips when I left. Now am unemployed for couple of months. Right now I have nothing from them other than a paper of good reference which says that I was good with what i did etc. If I put this job in my cv and I forward it to a company which i want to work at will they ask me to provide my pay slips from my previous employee? How will they check that I was indeed working there? Do they ever check what you put on the cv by anything other than asking for a refence? If they do ask for my pay slips am screwed?
Its the first time that i jump from one job to another and I have a few concerns. Thanks

Comments

• Amber07
    Amber07 Posts: 330 Forumite
    Options
    Did you not get a P45 when you left?

I know personally I have never been asked for pay slips from previous jobs - just my P45 which contained my tax code.

If a new employer wanted to check you used to work at a certain place, I'm sure they would just phone up and enquire. The fact you have a written reference would act as proof anyway.

I really don't think you need to worry
    Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. :cheesy:
  • brightonman123
    brightonman123 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    Options
    cannot see why new employerss would want/need to see any payslips..
    just the P45 which I trust you kept safe when you left old job..

If not, fill in a P46, and start at basic rate tax, which should sort itself out when HM tax office update your new employment details..

THEY wil certainly have records of your past (legit) earnings..:beer:
    Long time away from MSE, been dealing real life stuff..
    Sometimes seen lurking on the compers forum :-)
  • Duncan_H
    Duncan_H Posts: 74 Forumite
    Options
    They will definitely not ask for old pay slips. Don't panic and take brightonmans advice
  • tinotinotino
    Options
    Don't worry about the pay slips, as long as you have your P45 or know your tax code you'll be sorted. If not, just do a P46. The finance dept at your new place can help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport