I wanna paper shredder

Options
I'm after a paper shredder for our business which we run from home. We send quite a few packages too, so the shredded paper would come in handy as packing (how green is that!)
Haven't got a clue about shredders - any advice would be most welcome as they seem to vary an awful lot in price.

Cheers,
Hels
Women marry men hoping they will change, men marry women hoping they won't! Inevitably they will both be disappointed.
Albert Einstein
:smileyhea

Comments

• cheekymole
    cheekymole Posts: 3,416 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would say the cross shredders would be the best
    I haven't got one!
  • jackieb
    jackieb Posts: 27,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Cross shredders are definately better, although the strip ones are better than nothing. I got mine 2-3 years ago from Lidl's (it's a Lervia - £19.99). It has served me well.

I did buy a cross shredder for my father-in-law from Woolies. It also takes credit cards and staples. Mine doesn't. His one was reduced to £14.99.

Shop around - you don't have to spend a fortune. It's recommended with my one that you don't use it for more than 2 minutes at a time. I guess it's so it doesn't overheat. I think you would have an awful lot of stuff to shred if you were putting papers and shredding for 2 minutes non stop. :) It's never been an issue with me. I don't know if all other shredders have the same advice.
  • exel1966
    exel1966 Posts: 4,978 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Most shredders will automatically cut out after a hefty shredding session to stop the motor burning out. Usually wait a couple of minutes and it will work again.

I can also reccomend the one from Woolies for £14.99. It's usualyy £29.99 but currently (well, most of the time) 50% off. Cross-cut, security rated 3, credit cards cut and a reasonable size bin. Which, the consumer organiastion reccomend it as a top buy.
  • jackieb
    jackieb Posts: 27,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    That'll be the one I got for my FIL. That was half price too. I didn't know it had been recommended by Which. I usually poo poo Woolies sales as most stuff is brought in especially for the sale, but this seemed like a good buy.

http://www.woolworths.co.uk/ww_p2/product/index.jhtml?pid=50282463

This looks like it. It doesn't say it shreds cards and takes paper with staples in it but the one I bought definately said that it did.
  • hjb123
    hjb123 Posts: 32,002 Forumite
    Options
    It depends how good one you are wanting but you can get them in Asda and Tesco quite cheap. Or next step up you can get them in Stationery Box and Woolworth or Wilkos.

They are all quite good - to be honest it depends whether you would use it for just paper or card or credit cards etc?!
    Weight Loss - 102lb
  • Twmble
    Twmble Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    hjb123 wrote:
    It depends how good one you are wanting but you can get them in Asda and Tesco quite cheap. Or next step up you can get them in Stationery Box and Woolworth or Wilkos.

They are all quite good - to be honest it depends whether you would use it for just paper or card or credit cards etc?!

Just bought the last crosscutting shredder from Woolies (Chippenham) - still half price (£15) and it does indeed do credit cards.

How much fun is shredding? :T

T
  • aiden1
    aiden1 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    Shredder Warehouse announces the launch of Fellowes Power shred SB-89Ci Shredder. This model is also known as the SB-89Ci 100% Jam Proof Cross-Cut Shredder, which obviously means that the user will not face any jams during paper shredding.

This highly efficient and professional paper shredder has the capability to shred up to 15 sheets in a single go, that too in 5/32” x 1-1/2” cross-cut particles, which shows how much time one can save while using this Fellowes paper shredder. The best part is that this shredder machine has been granted a Level 3 security rating, which makes it the perfect choice for those who are extremely careful about shredding documents that consist of addresses, signatures, Social Security numbers etc.

What’s more is that it comes with a Silent Shred technology, which eliminates all sounds and offers a silent performance for those operating in shared workspaces. Perfect to be used at home as well as at work, the best part about this Fellowes shredder is that it discontinues the shredding procedure as soon as the paper opening is touched by hand, which makes its usage exceptionally safe...
  • OfficeGuru_2
    Options
    Great selection of shredders to choose from. Rexel, Fellowes and a Q-Connect discount brand as well. Lots of different specs including ribbon cut, cross cut and confetti cut

officegopher.co.uk/341-shredders

Well worth the investment especially now with Identity theft on the rise.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure