Same job advertised at different salary

Options
Hi there,

Yesterday I applied for a full-time vacancy and got a call back from the recruitment consultant. They went through all the details but made it quite clear that the salary was fixed and that there was probably no room for negotiation. Probably a load of 'you know what' but I kept my mouth shut and they forwarded my CV anyway. I'm expecting a call back tomorow to see how things develop.

However, this evening I've seen what I believe to be the same job advertised by two other agencies at a higher wage.

Does anyone have any advice on how I should play this out? I don't want to apply for the job again using the other agencies as this may complicate matters.

Should I let the consultant know that I've seen the job advertised elsewhere? Or should I just wait and, if I get the offer, ask for the higher wage? I thought about withdrawing my application but there's a chance that the company has already seen my CV.

I'm not very good at negotiating with agents so any info would be most appreciated! :confused:

Many Thanks ;)

Comments

• LinasPilibaitisisbatman
    Options
    smirkyguy wrote: »
    Hi there,

Yesterday I applied for a full-time vacancy and got a call back from the recruitment consultant. They went through all the details but made it quite clear that the salary was fixed and that there was probably no room for negotiation. Probably a load of 'you know what' but I kept my mouth shut and they forwarded my CV anyway. I'm expecting a call back tomorow to see how things develop.

However, this evening I've seen what I believe to be the same job advertised by two other agencies at a higher wage.

Does anyone have any advice on how I should play this out? I don't want to apply for the job again using the other agencies as this may complicate matters.

Should I let the consultant know that I've seen the job advertised elsewhere? Or should I just wait and, if I get the offer, ask for the higher wage? I thought about withdrawing my application but there's a chance that the company has already seen my CV.

I'm not very good at negotiating with agents so any info would be most appreciated! :confused:

Many Thanks ;)

A lot of agencies deliberatly quote unrealistically high salaries in order to get applicants and candidates.

If you look at most jobs on a recruiters site you will find that the salaries are higher than direct to companies, in most cases you won't get that salary either.

Fees can also be tiered on salaries too so they may be trying to bump up their fees.

Either way if you have applied once leave it at that, if you get offered the job you are likely to negotiate salary directly with the employer thus you can see what they say about it.
  • cazziebo
    cazziebo Posts: 3,209 Forumite
    Options
    Is this a permanent job rather than an agency position? If so, it is the company who decide what the successful candidate will be paid. It may be that the job is on a scale - eg £20 - 25k but all new entrants start on the lowest salary. The other agencies may be advertising the higher figures in the hope that it attracts more candidates. Who knows - it's academic because the agency doesn't dictate permanent salary figures.

If your CV has been submitted then that agency will be deemed to have "introduced" you so could claim the finders fee if you were to swap and be successful in securing the position.

There is no need to do that. It's obvious no one agency has exclusivity on the vacancy. It's up to you to impress at interview and get the job. Negotiating a salary is always easier from a position of power, and that power is strongest when you have a job offer.

Best of luck.
  • smirkyguy
    smirkyguy Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    cazziebo wrote: »
    Is this a permanent job rather than an agency position?

The job is a permanent position being advertised online through a recruitment website.

I'm guessing it's best to wait and see if I get an interview first. If I do and things go well and I get a job offer, I guess that would be the time to negotiate. :D

Thanks for your replies on this by the way :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport