my tax help please

Options
ok...long story i kinda
having not worked 4 2 yr started my job in devember
i make ruffely 130 a week... and ever since strated i have been paying NI
recived a letter a few weeks ago stating i was now given a new tax code 603L stating i could make £6035 before i strated paying tax... now on my lat 2 pays i have been taxed?? whats this about is this correct last pay

20/30/09- 131.75 total decutions income tax £3 NI 2.91
"Lifes a climb - but the view up in fantastic"
Gina Shoe Challange - £150 14 days - day1 £3.01

Comments

• dampsquib
    dampsquib Posts: 179 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds like your employer has started to operate your Tax Code on what's called "Week 1 Basis" (Commonly known as the Emergency Code). This code looks at each week separately and doesn't take account of you not working earlier in the tax year.
    You mention a letter about your code. Presumably, this was from the Tax Office. Did it say anything about Week 1 Basis next to the code? If it did, ask the tax office why you are on this basis. If it didn't, show the code number to your wages department and ask them to check your code and explain the deductions. If they are operating the code on the wrong basis, it might now be difficult to resolve the problem before the end of the tax year (5th April). In which case, you might have to submit a repayment claim to the tax office, after you get an end-of-year pay & tax statement from your employer (P60).
    Your code should rise automatically after 5th April to 647L which should cause the tax deuctions to stop again.
  • shellnapier
    Options
    why should my code rise??? yes but the tax code on my payment slip is 603L the code the tax credits sent me am ment to be using?? i mite just call tehm 2moro and explaine
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,104 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Did you fill in a P46 for your new employer?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • shellnapier
    Options
    i dont know i dont think so....
  • dampsquib
    dampsquib Posts: 179 Forumite
    Options
    why should my code rise??? yes but the tax code on my payment slip is 603L the code the tax credits sent me am ment to be using?? i mite just call tehm 2moro and explaine
    Tax code will rise in April as personal allowance increases for the next tax year have already been announced.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure