Visiting a different job centre

Options
Hi,

Due to where I live I am nearer to a smaller job centre in a town which is where I visit. However, I am more than happy to visit another one which is in a city. I take it I cannot just pop in, as the job centre I go to now seems to have security and won't just let anyone in?

One of my ex-colleagues (we've all been made redundant) visited the larger job centre and said there were a lot of jobs listed for what we are/were looking for, but where I go there doesn't seem to be much.

I do check the job centre website daily for new listings in both areas (I will travel either way), but I find the same jobs keep appearing.

I will of course ask the question next week, but wondered if anyone had any information beforehand.

Many thanks
Grocery challenge - Nov: £52/£100

Comments

• weegie.geek
    weegie.geek Posts: 3,432 Forumite
    Options
    You should be able to go to any job centre. They mostly have security to stop the abusive junkies who've been barred from getting in, especially in cities.
    They say it's genetic, they say he can't help it, they say you can catch it - but sometimes you're born with it
  • clairec79
    clairec79 Posts: 2,512 Forumite
    Options
    It's a central database, you should be able to pull up anyfrom any jobcentre (or the website)
  • weegie.geek
    weegie.geek Posts: 3,432 Forumite
    Options
    True, but the website always seemed clunky to me. In the JC you can select an area, and a radius in which to search, and you can search several related jobs at a time. It's not too bad a system when it's working.
    They say it's genetic, they say he can't help it, they say you can catch it - but sometimes you're born with it
  • freakyogre
    freakyogre Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks, I will check with them when I go there next week.

I understand it's a central datebase, but from what I gather, each job centre also has cards up with advertised jobs. It is unlikely that the same job will be advertised in both job centres when they are around 20 miles apart.

Like I said, I do check the website every day for both areas, but it seems to bring up the same jobs each time. If I have applied already, or the job is no good, there is little point me looking at it over and over again.

Thanks for your help.
    Grocery challenge - Nov: £52/£100
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family