Letter from Wescot (not sure what for).

Options
I received a letter from Wescot today titled Confirmation of Residency and i'm not sure what this debt is actually for. I did mess up my finances when i was younger but when i moved into my own home in Aug 03 i stopped applying for credit for a couple of years until eventually in Aug 07 i started again with a phone contract and all the credit i have now is paid off properly.

Anyway back to the letter its from Wescot Re: ARG Equation when i googled it it comes up with some home shopping group, i did have a few catalogues when i was younger but the amounts don't tally even with fees added on. So because i've been in my house for 6 years in August i know it could be seen as statute barred then as i know it will definately be before i moved here. But the letters worryng me now. Should i just ignore it as long as i can make it until August? Or should i phone them and see what its for? (but worried they could take this for acknowledgement). It also says 'Despite multiple attempts to contact you at the above address' which is certainly not true in nearly 6 years of living here if that make a difference.

Any help is greatfully received.

Comments

• Lensman_2
    Lensman_2 Posts: 1,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A professional will be along shortly hopefully.

In the meantime, don't phone them. They are skilled at getting a payment out of you and will start with the threat of legal action if you cannot pay the full balance in 7 days (bluff - but still scary). You might feel that you did well to come off the phone with only £5 paid - but that will definately have acknowledged the debt.

If I was in your position I would either tough out the wait - or start with a credit agreement request (CCA). This puts the ball back in their court because you are effectively asking them to prove it. It also puts the debt in dispute so no further enforcement action can take place for two weeks.
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    'Despite multiple attempts to contact you at the above address' is standard garbage sent to everyone whatever their previous history. In fact one OP was told that "failed to respond to previus contact" referred to original letters from the OC a decade previously, not to any correspondence from the DCA.

So ignore.

You might want to check what is on your credit records, as if these accounts have already dropped off them they are statute barred anyway unless there is a CCJ.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • athensgeorgia
    Options
    RAS wrote: »
    'You might want to check what is on your credit records, as if these accounts have already dropped off them they are statute barred anyway unless there is a CCJ.

I last checked my credit file in September (Equifax) and November (Experian) and nothing 'adverse' is showing on them, just lots of nice green zero's.

As i have a Cap 1 i'm signed up for the free monitoring thing and nothing has been added at all.

Does this make a difference? Is there anything i should be doing? If they send more letters shall i just ignore them?

Manys thanks.

P.S No CCJ's at all.
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi

In that case it either belongs to someone else or is statute barred and fell off after 6 years.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • athensgeorgia
    Options
    I know this is an old post but Wescot have started phoning my house now. It started on Monday they asked for me by name i aksed who was calling when they told me i said i know who you are and i have no enforcable debts against me and thats as far as we got i put the phone down. Then yesterday i had an answerphone message off them askin me to contact them. What really concerns me is 1) How did they get my number? and 2) Why are they persuing me when i had a letter the same day from Mackenzie Hall for the same debt? Surely if it had been sold on only one DCA should be pursuing it (that is if the wescot call was for the same thing seeing as though i didn't give them chance).

What do i do? On the 15th August its been 6 years in this house and tbh i don't remember any letters in our previous house but we were only ther 14 monthish.

Edit: I still have no idea what this debt is for, Should i find out?
  • athensgeorgia
    Options
    Just bumping this. :D
  • athensgeorgia
    Options
    They've just rung me again this morning. They asked for me i asked who was calling and then said No and out the phone down. Can i keep this up? Or should i be speaking to them to get them to stop ringing?
  • Wol2
    Wol2 Posts: 3,845 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 July 2009 at 10:53AM
    Options
    Slightly amended template letter to include a couple of clauses about the telephone calls but I think it should do the trick in response to the letter you received in March...and then follow up and send the statute barred template letter found in this thread (post number 4) after the August date

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=963087

1 High Street,
    Newtown,
    Kent
    R21 4RH
    October 9, 2007

The Loan Company
    Company House,
    Church Street,
    Newtown,
    Kent,
    R1 7HG

Dear Sir/Madam

Ref: xxxxxxxxxxx

You have contacted me regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself.

I would point out that I have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to The Loan Company.

I am familiar with the ‘Office of Fair Trading Debt Collection Guidance’ which states that it is unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

Iwould also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. In not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore, ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

Iwould ask that no further contact be made concerning the above accounts unless you can provide evidence as to my liability for the debt in question and I now require any further correspondence from your company to be made in writing only.

I am of the view that any continued harassment of me by telephone puts you in breach of The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008, and the Protection from Harassment Act 1997.

If you continue to harass me by telephone, you will also be in breach of the Communications Act (2003) s.127 and I will report you to OFCOM, Trading Standards and The Office of Fair Trading, meaning that you will be liable to a substantial fine.

I await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise we will have no option but to make a complaint to the trading standards department and consider informing the OFT of your actions.

I look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

Mrs A N Other
    (type don't sign)
    Flooded 20/07/07 :(.
    Normal service FINALLY RESUMED 31/07/10 :j:j
    " It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." Douglas Adams...."or the FOS" Wol2
    Numptie groupie #2 :cool:
    Mortgage offset drawdown [STRIKE]£60861[/STRIKE]:(.... [STRIKE]£60074[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£59967[/STRIKE] £65k 'ish 1/6/14

• athensgeorgia
    Options
    Thanks very much for that Wol. :)
  • athensgeorgia
    Options
    I've been on holiday for a week and come home to find more messages on my answerphone. I haven't sent the letter yet as i can't find the letter they sent me and don't have the account number. 14 more days and i've been in my house for 6 years.

I have a Capital One card so have the free alerts thing with equifax which is showing a new credit search done by Wescot on 24th July.

What do i do? I could really do with some step by step help cause i'm such a newb :o.

Any help greatfully received.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport