Options

Comments

• dosh
    dosh Posts: 52 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 31 October 2010 at 8:43AM
    Options
    Hi RD

I also found Rapport was slowing down my PC.

Tried to uninstall and used Revo Unistaller (Advanced Mode) all to no avail.
    Even after "uninstalling" it was still accessing my CPU (98%) for hours on end.

I eventually contacted support@trusteer.com who were very helpful and sent me this uninstall link:

http://www.trusteer.com/book/uninstalling-rapport-using-safeuninstall-utility

Successfully uninstalled without a problem.

I now rely on Comodo CIS Version 5 and regular scans with Malwarebytes and Superantispy, which many of the "technical guru's" on the 'Techie Stuff' board have recommended in the past.
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    dosh wrote: »
    Hi RD

I also found Rapport was slowing down my PC.

Tried to uninstall and used Revo Unistaller (Advanced Mode) all to no avail.
    Even after "uninstalling" it was still accessing my CPU (98%) for hours on end.

I eventually contacted [EMAIL="support@trusteer.com"]support@trusteer.com[/EMAIL] who were very helpful and sent me this uninstall link:

http://www.trusteer.com/book/uninstalling-rapport-using-safeuninstall-utility

Successfully uninstalled without a problem.

I now rely on Comodo CIS Version 5 and regular scans with Malwarebytes and Superantispy, which many of the "technical guru's" on the 'Techie Stuff' board have recommended in the past.
    Hi, yes I know how to uninstall, but its the warning "your computer is infected and will become active again if you Uninstall" bit thats the problem, can I safely ignore this. Thanks
  • dosh
    dosh Posts: 52 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi RD

I'm a bit out of my depth with that question.

I would suggest that:
    1. Contact support@trusteer.com
    2. Post the question on the Techie Stuff board
  • LongTermLurker
    Options
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Hi, yes I know how to uninstall, but its the warning "your computer is infected and will become active again if you Uninstall" bit thats the problem, can I safely ignore this. Thanks
    Is that the actual message? Is there any more to it?

Rather than uninstall it, why not try and identify the problem, perhaps change browser/other software or disable certain functions? The Rapport software is not an AV/anti-spyware/anti-malware product, it does far more than those to encrypt keystrokes, verify the IP address of protected web servers haven't been changed in DNS, warn you if registered login details are being entered into a new website and performs low level Operating System and memory checks. All AV/malware apps do is look for a list of known threats and check for software acting strangely.

I've had no noticable slow-down of my system. It seems a good product - rather than abandon it, why not try and make it work for you?

From their website, regarding degredation of speed:
    There are known issues with the following products:
    • CA Internet Security Suite 2009 when used with Internet Explorer
    • PC-Tools Threatfire when used with Google Chrome
    • Comodo Internet Security or Firewall with Defense+ prior to version 3.13, when used with Firefox
    • Ad Muncher

We're working with these vendors to resolve the issues. Until then you can either stop Rapport or stop the conflicting tool. The following free antivirus solution works well with Rapport: http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/
    Any other performance or browser issues you may have experienced during the time Trusteer Rapport was installed were probably a result of software incompatibility or a clash with malware already on your PC. While we test Rapport extensively against hundreds of solutions and do everything we can to prevent, identify and fix such issues, there are some software combinations we haven’t yet reached. These issues are extremely rare, but nonetheless irritating for you. We sincerely apologize and we’d like to make it up to you.
    Please click "Live Support Online" on the left to start an online chat with a support representative and fix the issue you're experiencing, or request a callback from the link below and our support representatives will call you as soon as possible.
    You've never seen me, but I've been here all along - watching and learning...:cool:
  • southcoastsounds
    southcoastsounds Posts: 42 Forumite
    edited 1 November 2010 at 7:34PM
    Options
    I am an IT Professional and have no excuse for allowing Rapport to blight my computer for the last two months.

I have had Windows 7 hanging for long periods, with various programs just refusing to restart. I have spent HOURS trying to solve this one - adjusting my start-up programs and uninstalling anything I thought was un-necessary - all to no avail.

Then today, it dawned on me remember that Rapport thing that Alliance and Leicester prompted me to install back in September. I did a quick google on "rapport problems" and found this thread and various other references.

So I decided to uninstall Rapport. And how difficult that proved to be- even the uninstall process kept hanging and then the bl***y program would heal itself and there it was again - as bad as trying to kill a zombie in a horror movie.

At last, after going into Safe mode, I got rid of the thing, and guess what: my computer now works perfectly.

In my view, my experience of Rapport has been like that as a virus or a trojan. Its worked behind the scenes to screw up my computer and has been very difficult to get rid of.

I am now going to ring the Alliance and Leicster and complain about the waste of time and effort by their prompting me to install what I have found to be the same as malicious software.

I just feel to mad at myself for installing it in the first place. My F-Secure security software already has phishing protection included. I had no need for Rapport, but gave into a prompt from my bank. I worked for years in corporate IT and should have known better than to assume that if a bank says something is OK then it really is.

And once more I'm left thinking how the heck would someone who didn't know a lot about computers ever solve a problem like this?

Tom
    PS rang A&L Internet Banking help desk and got the usual stuff - no complaints other than me, forums like this one only have messages from people who complain, everybody else joyously delighted with Rapport, etc, etc, etc.
  • LongTermLurker
    Options
    So I decided to uninstall Rapport. And how difficult that proved to be- even the uninstall process kept hanging and then the bl***y program would heal itself and there it was again - as bad as trying to kill a zombie in a horror movie.
    er, that's the point. If you, being "administrator" or "usernamewhatever" can uninstall it, then so can the trojan or applet running under your credentials. The whole point of security software is to prevent unauthorised removal.

I don't know your role, so this is a general statement and not to be taken personally, but the vast majority of IT staff have no understanding of security, because they have never been trained in the technologies.

Over the last few days I've noticed Rapport has actively blocked access to what appears to be legitimate new web servers that Santander have registered in DNS. They may be legitimate, but they may not have been. I feel vindicated in the knowledge that the potential DNS injection has not led me to suffer a man in the middle attack. That protection would not have been provided to anyone only using anti-spyware or AV software, who will right at this minute be accessing newly-defined web servers without knowing who controls them.

As has been said, Rapport contains a number of features that augment traditional firewall and anti-malware products. As to conflicts with new operating systems, as an IT professional, surely you're accustomed to software conflicts? I'm not saying there aren't any, but all the complaints revolve around software conflicts and who is to argue whether the conflict is with Trusteer or Microsoft?

And for once, A&L is right - the vast majority of forum posters (on any forums) are complaining about something, because those who are happy seldom bother to sing praises. I accept I may be the minority - the only one who has had no problems in over a year - but I still think from a technical & security perspective it's the dog's boll'x
    You've never seen me, but I've been here all along - watching and learning...:cool:
  • StevieJ
    StevieJ Posts: 20,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    No problems here either, not too bothered by the anti phishing capability but the anti-keylogger is invaluable if it actually works, which I assume it does but I don't know for a fact.
    'Just think for a moment what a prospect that is. A single market without barriers visible or invisible giving you direct and unhindered access to the purchasing power of over 300 million of the worlds wealthiest and most prosperous people' Margaret Thatcher
  • southcoastsounds
    southcoastsounds Posts: 42 Forumite
    edited 2 November 2010 at 12:58AM
    Options
    I don't know your role, so this is a general statement and not to be taken personally, but the vast majority of IT staff have no understanding of security, because they have never been trained in the technologies.

Few people can claim expertise in the intricacies of security software in these days of highly expert hackers and cyber-terrorists who even mount attacks on government defence ministries. However, having held just about every possible role in IT during a 35 year career, including running PC support organisations, one thing I do know is that you should never introduce new software into a computer configuration without extensive testing on that configuration. I foolishly omitted that step and trusted my bank - I have only myself to blame for this.

Having said that, the investigation I have made into this product today suggest that the suppliers are in fact aware of known problems but you have to dig pretty deep to find out what they are - and I think A&L/Santander are remiss in not warning people of the risks, however unlikely it may be that they may effect a particular PC. In fact the website says

• Fast – Rapport is a small piece of software. It’s designed to let your computer work just as quickly as before.
    • Compatible – Works alongside your existing valuable anti-virus and firewall protection.

Neither of those claims were true in my case and the impact on my PC was huge, with weeks and weeks of problems including freezings and crashings.

The lesson as far as I'm concerned is to remember that even a simple and clean PC configuration is actually highly complex with hundred of applications running continually in the background. It is hardly surprising that something new can result in conflicts, especially when that new thing is a security product which has to interact with existing firewalls and security products.

Frankly, Rapport and others of its ilk are a loose cannon unless they're tested. I would urge anyone who is installing it in future to make a restore point before doing so, so they can revert to the pre-installation state without so much difficulty as I had.

Tom
    PS - just been chatting online with F-Secure tech support who said

"The logic of how these security program works is that they do not work well with each other and need to work alone to achieve full efficiency. The presence of other security program might result in your situation. One good antivirus software is enough"

I knew that, but its worth reiterating
  • LongTermLurker
    Options
    StevieJ wrote: »
    No problems here either, not too bothered by the anti phishing capability but the anti-keylogger is invaluable if it actually works, which I assume it does but I don't know for a fact.
    I keep getting messages telling me it's working, but as always, in the end it comes down to trust.
  • LongTermLurker
    Options
    <cut>
    Excellent post, and agree 100% :T

That F-secure statement is what it all boils down to, and as you know, conflicts do occur - like anything else, I guess it comes down to having the right combination and keeping it simple. And you're right, no-one knows everything, which only adds to the interest, doesn't it - every day's a learning curve :cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure