We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Pay Rise Advice Please

Options
Hi,

Hope i'm posting in the right place aplogies if not.

I'm looking for some advice on whether to ask for a pay rise or not. To set the scene my company has just confirmed that there will be no pay rises this year because of the tough economic climate.

Someone in my team at the same level has let slip that he is on approx 4k more than me and I have had an "Excellent" year according to my manager and exceeded in objectives etc and this other person has gone through the performance management process due to under performance. Obviously this has hit my motivation a bit because i've worked my !!!! off over the last year for no reward it seems.

I totally understand the stance on no pay rises across the board because of the way things are but do you think I'd be within my rights to raise this with my manager and ask for a rise?

Comments

• nzmegs
    nzmegs Posts: 1,055 Forumite
    Options
    You could certainly try - but I would be very surprised if they cold justify it if they have told everyone else that it won't happen. The way around it may be to promote you to a better paid position.
    I am in a very similar position. I have had nothing but statuatory payrises for the last three years and feel i deserve more. But I guess everyone feels that way don't they?
    You may find your collegues higher pay will be fully justified by your manger - more experience, been there longer, negotiated a better deal when he was employed.
    I hate to be a defeatist - but if your collegue can get away with doing b**8er all then why don't you try it too. it doesn't seem to do any harm to him! it does make you wonder why we bother at all sometimes doesn't it!
  • Treacle1983
    Treacle1983 Posts: 979 Forumite
    Options
    I don't think many people will get pay rises this year unless they can really justify it:

If the person on 4K more than you works the same hours, in the same job, doing the same work, to the same standard, has worked there the same amount of time etc... then ask away.

Have something prepared in writing requesting the pay rise with your reasons why: such as rises in your day to day costs, having little time off sick, willing to work overtime, never being tardy, always hitting and beating targets etc....
    Not really comping any more as too ill - but hoping to win £1000+ in 2017 in cash prizes - watch this space!
  • outtadebt
    outtadebt Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the really useful replies.

In terms of him compared to me when I say I have worked my backside off the last year this culminated in working weekends and for a period of 6 months working 60 hr weeks on a regular basis whereas he would stroll in at 8.30 and leave at 5. I picked this up with manager at the time about working the silly hours and she agreed that it was silly and tried to lighten my workload.

My gripe now comes though because as I said i've just found out that he's on more than me. I've been at the company longer have a little more experience, little more responsibility and have never had a sick day in nearly 2 years. I just really find it hard to swallow.

I was promoted within so he obviously negotiated himself a better deal at the time.

Like you say I could start being like him and to be honest i've stopped putting the graft in which is really not like me but I don't feel motivated anymore.
  • Treacle1983
    Treacle1983 Posts: 979 Forumite
    Options
    In that case I would def go for a pay rise - state all that in your case and if they say no - you can probably ask for it too go higher up the ladder and ask their reasons for not considering/giving it...
    Not really comping any more as too ill - but hoping to win £1000+ in 2017 in cash prizes - watch this space!
  • Madjock
    Madjock Posts: 744 Forumite
    Options
    It seems to me, you should be focusing on negotiating with your employer rather than looking at what your colleague does or doesn't do. You've chosen to work extra hours and at weekends. Your colleague has chosen to work his contracted hours. Your contract and salary are between you and your employer and that's where your focus should be.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport