What is a fair pay rise?

Options
I hope this is the right area to post this. If it is, I'd appreciate some advice.

We employ a nanny to look after our 2 children, and she will have been with us a year come May this year. We are looking to give her a pay rise from that time. We're just trying to figure out what would be a fair pay-rise. With interest rates falling to all time lows every month, possible deflation round the corner, the pound becoming a toilet cuurency , etc., etc., we're having difficulty figuring out what would be an appropriate and fair pay increase.

If anyone had some suggestions or could point in the right direction I'd be most grateful.

Thanks.
"I am not young enough to know everything." Oscar Wilde

Comments

• HopeAndDriftWood
    Options
    Aww, thats really nice. I used to nanny, id love to have had an employer like you!

I think it'll be hard to help unless you tell us what she currently earns, and how many hours she works?
    Signature down for maintenance :rotfl:
  • Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd give 1/2% - 1% above inflation. It's not just the cost of living you need to cover but the experience and loyalty.
  • LinasPilibaitisisbatman
    Options
    Just give her whatever the unions agree each year thus there is a basis for the rise.

Whilst it might be good to give someone above inflation its certainly not common except in times of decline right now.

I would say 2.5%-3% per annum is normally about the average for most day to day jobs
  • Paulgonnabedebtfree
    Options
    Quintus wrote: »
    I hope this is the right area to post this. If it is, I'd appreciate some advice.

We employ a nanny to look after our 2 children, and she will have been with us a year come May this year. We are looking to give her a pay rise from that time. We're just trying to figure out what would be a fair pay-rise. With interest rates falling to all time lows every month, possible deflation round the corner, the pound becoming a toilet cuurency , etc., etc., we're having difficulty figuring out what would be an appropriate and fair pay increase.

If anyone had some suggestions or could point in the right direction I'd be most grateful.

Thanks.

As she has been with you a while, presumably you are happy with the way she works. It may be difficult if you have to get a different one.
    My view is as follows:-
    Give her a rise that is compatible with the inflation rate of the more essential goods/services that she needs to buy. This would be higher than the contrick inflation rate mouthed by politicians. A figure of maybe 5 - 7% springs to mind (even though Asda own brand Jaffa Cakes have gone up 60% since Christmas).
    However, really, due to the nature of the work, continuity and loyalty are what you REALLY want to reward and purchase. Therefore, in addition to the percentage, I suggest a lump sum for 12 months service completed. Follow this up with half yearly or annual lump sums and let her know of your intention. Hopefully this would guarantee you her continued good service for at least another 6/12 months.
    I believe that continuity is an important part of this type of work - especially if the children involved are particularly young.
  • Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123 Forumite
    Options
    Yes I forgot about bonuses. I usually get £100 at the time of December pay.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,110 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If she's done any training while she's been with you, that would be worth something too. it might be worth looking on your local gumtree to see what's being offered there for nannying or other childcare jobs (although a lot of people say "good" rather than give a number!)
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • SandC
    SandC Posts: 3,929 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I say give her what you can afford and I like the idea of a bonus.

Bear in mind that thousands of people are having no rise whatsover this year (and very grateful we are too if that means we don't lose our jobs) so anything is a bonus.
  • nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    Options
    Just recvd annual increase based on last years RPI .9%. About £3 per week.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,942 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Our payrise this year is going to be 1.5%, I haven't had a rise of 2.5-3% for years! ( A couple of years back, we didn't get an increase at all. Are these higher percentages public sector, by any chance.)
    Our bonus depends on how well the company is doing, so last year was only £25 but this year will be £150.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure