Redundant position after resignation???

Options
I'm a Manager (right at the bottom of the scale) within a district Council. My service is not compulsory and so they are going to be making budget cuts this year to our service. This is very likely going to involve redundancies. Not a new story I know!

My query is related to a member of my work team who has thankfully managed to secure a job position elsewhere. Our problem at work is that we are struggling to persuade the powers that be in the Council to replace this member of staff with another person working on a like for like basis. They will only employ a casual worker who cannot take on extra responsibilities like being a key holder, handling cash etc. Her position seems to have been effectively made been redundant after she leaves, but without any notice to anyone??

I thought that if a person resigns and their post is effectively made redundant, that they are entitled to some redundancy compensation? Does anyone know anything about a job position which is made redundant after a person voluntarily leaves it?

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks.
When dreams take flight, follow them... :A

...but make sure you have thoroughly researched the price of flights before doing so!!! :cool:

Comments

• mountainofdebt
    Options
    I wouldn't have thought that the person who has resigned wouldn't be entitled to any redundancy payment as they resigned and haven't been made redundant.

It sounds as if the powers that be have taken the opportunity not to fill the position made vacant on a permanent basis and so the post will disappear through 'natural wastage', presumably when the budget cuts come into force.
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.
    Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
  • Little_RAY
    Little_RAY Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks.

I was sure that my Dad faced a similar thing some years ago when he was made redundant (by another council), and there was some issue about people resigning then the Council making their post redundant. I've probably half remembered what I heard as my parents chatted... I was only about 15 at the time!
    When dreams take flight, follow them... :A

...but make sure you have thoroughly researched the price of flights before doing so!!! :cool:
  • max2009
    max2009 Posts: 543 Forumite
    Options
    This is usual practice called natural wastage like someone above said.The person resigned and obviously is not entitled to anything.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,110 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's quite normal - and indeed good practice! - for a job to be reviewed after someone leaves it. Although it sometimes means that those left behind cannot cope with all that's not being done, it may be possible to re-allocate duties so that either a less senior (and cheaper) person could be appointed, or to reduce hours for the new post.

But the person who has left has no comeback on the council if their post is not filled.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport