Tax codes - I owe them money??

Options
pinkshoes
pinkshoes Posts: 20,120 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
I used to have private health insurance, so around £400 was deducted from my tax free allowance. In May 08 I changed job, so no longer had this benefit, but when I got my new tax code for 2009 to 2010, I noticed it seemed to think I was getting private health insurance from my new employer, which was incorrect.

I phoned them up to notify them of the mistake (i.e. I'd only had private health insurance for 1 of the 12 months of the 2008/2009 tax year), and they said I'd receive a tax rebate, or at least that's how I understood it.

I've just received a letter saying I owe them £80, and they've changed my tax code so I pay an extra 20% on £400!!!

I'm really confused. :confused: Can anyone shed any light on this?
Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)

Comments

• Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A £400 reduction in your code ..... if you pay 20%, is £80.

But I can't explain why you are £80 underpaid ... the letter / calculation should do that?
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • sarflee
    sarflee Posts: 375 Forumite
    Options
    Is the underpayment for an earlier year? What may have happened is they have made an adjustment to the 2009/2010 tax code to collect an earlier years underpayment. However, you may still be entitled to a rebate for the incorrect tax collected during 2008/2009.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,120 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm not aware that I've made an underpayment for any year!

I've always had the private health insurance deducted from each tax year... so now I don't have it any more, then I should have had an extra £400 tax free last year, not taxed at 20%, so I was under the impression that they owe me money!! That's at least how they seemed to explain it on the phone before they confused me and said that I owe them!

And if I owe them from a previous tax year, then surely at the very least it would be break even near enough?

Looks like I'll have to phone them again, and sit in a 15 minute call waiting queue!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure