Jsa contributions, what other help do you get?

Options
I'm trying to find info for a friend who has just been made redundant, yesterday was his last day, he also rang the benefits agency who said that he would go on to Jsa contributions, i said to him that he would not get council tax benefit, he said he was told he would..

we are both confused as website says one thing, call center says another and the actual office most likely (when he signs on) say another again...

What will he get?

Doesn't need housing benefit he owns his own home mortgage free
Life is about give and take, if you can't give why should you take?

Comments

• Paparika
    Paparika Posts: 2,476 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Bump? :confused:
  • Little_RAY
    Options
    Surely all he can do is apply for all the benefits out there that he could possibly be entitled to and see what he gets!

It sounds all very confusing when everyone is saying something different.

Council Tax benefit will depend entirely upon his circumstances: whether he is single, whether he has a partner living with him on low earnings, or whether he has a well paid partner living with him. The first two scenarios should mean that he gets a council tax benefit.

But, again, I think that the only way to find out 100% for certain is to apply for the benefits and see what happens... Has he looked at www.direct.gov.uk ? That's a useful site with a scenario based questionairre that can advise which benefits your friend may or may not be entitled to.
    When dreams take flight, follow them... :A

...but make sure you have thoroughly researched the price of flights before doing so!!! :cool:
  • Paparika
    Options
    He lives alone, only dependent is his cat
  • Little_RAY
    Little_RAY Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    Ahh, well Cats are sometimes much better company than human companions anyway! If only they could be sent to work!

I feel sure that your friend must be entitled to Council Tax benefit if he lives alone and is currently not earning. I received the benefit when I was unemployed and living with someone who was working part time. We had more money coming in than your friend will receive on JSA.

His eligibility may also depend on the amount of his savings and redundancy settlement of course.

PS. I like your signature - a statement I completely agree with!
    When dreams take flight, follow them... :A

...but make sure you have thoroughly researched the price of flights before doing so!!! :cool:
  • Paparika
    Options
    Thanks for the info i shall tell him. :T
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    You would have got a better response if you'd posted this on the Benefits Board!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure