🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

New Higher Rate Taxpayer

Options
Hi folks,
I recently had the (mis)fortune to limp into the higher rate tax bracket and now feel like a fish out of water. Is there an Idiot's guide anywhere? How does this effect savings, investments, bank accounts etc etc. Who do I need to tell? I've never even looked at the dreaded tax return form! :eek:

Comments

• CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    so your income is going to be over 40,835 this tax year or over £43,875 2009-10 tax year where your earning are
    earning including benefits in kind, plus (grossed up) interest plus grossed up dividend less pension payments?

You need to tell the tax office at the end of the tax year as you will have to pay the extra tax on the amount over 40,835 .. they will send you a self assessment tax form. No-one else needs to be told. You have until Oct to send back the paper form or until Jan 2010 if you complete online.
  • sarflee
    sarflee Posts: 375 Forumite
    Options
    Being a higher rate taxpayer is no longer a criteria for filling in self assessment tax forms unless you receive a large amount from investment income. They now issue forms so that any tax due on investment income can be collected via an adjustment to your tax code.

They should contact you when they discover you are higher rate, however this isn't always the case. I would be tempted to send in details of any other income you receive from investment etc, after the end of the tax year, and they should then tell you if you need to pay any extra tax.
  • dmcconachie
    Options
    CLAPTON wrote: »
    so your income is going to be over 40,835 this tax year or over £43,875 2009-10 tax year where your earning are
    earning including benefits in kind, plus (grossed up) interest plus grossed up dividend less pension payments?

How do these numbers tie in with those at the bottom of this page!?
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/it.htm
  • CLAPTON
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    well

6035 plus 34,800 = 40,835

and

6475 plus 37,400 = 43,875
  • dmcconachie
    Options
    Right...so the higher tax bracket is essentially 40,835 and not 34,600!? So I'm actually just shy of the threshold and not through it like my employer is telling me!? (Taxable YTD = £38k).

Sorry for being a little naive, this has caught me a little by surprise today!
  • cfnc
    cfnc Posts: 119 Forumite
    Options
    It depends on what your tax code is, you will be in the higer rate tax bracket if you earn £34800 plus your tax free amount, So it is possible that your employer is correct.

Kirsty
  • dmcconachie
    Options
    Tax code is 540L
  • cfnc
    cfnc Posts: 119 Forumite
    Options
    That would you could earn £40200 by the end of march or 5th april if you are paid weekly.

Kirsty
  • dmcconachie
    Options
    That's what I thought. So looks like I need to speak to payroll again!

Thanks folks, will update when I get to the bottom of it!
  • CLAPTON
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    what exactly is your employer telling you and why..

if you mean your taxable YTD is 38k that simply means your gross pay less any occupational pension is 38k ...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport