Ethical Cheap Cosmetics?

I've recently found out that my shampoo is test on animals and have since been trying to find a suitable alternative that is both affordable, of a good quality and ethical. Ideally also available in my local supermarket too! This has proved much harder than I though, as alot of cosmetics still seem to use animal testing. Can anyone help?

Comments

• I've recently found out that my shampoo is test on animals and have since been trying to find a suitable alternative that is both affordable, of a good quality and ethical. Ideally also available in my local supermarket too! This has proved much harder than I though, as alot of cosmetics still seem to use animal testing. Can anyone help?
    I am not certain about this, but I believe that the make up and cleaning products at Aldi (own brand) are not tested on animals, and I have just bought some liquid soap from Asda, and on the bottle it says that it isn`t tested on animals and that they give funds to research cruelty free products (or words to that effect) so that may be worth checking out too. HTH
    The more I see of men, the more I love dogs - Madame de Sevigne
  • All of the Co-op own-brand products are BUAV approved, and cruelty-free. This includes shampoos, washing detergents, toothpaste, household cleaners etc etc etc...

The co-op seem to be a lot more ethical in general than other supermarkets, and their own brand products, whilst being inexpensive, are pretty good quality.

So, if you have one near you, it's win win!
  • Ben84
    Ben84 Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I've discovered that some of the claims from companies that they don't animal test are purposefully misleading. Claims that they do not test "products" on animals can conveniently exclude the testing of ingredients. Claims to be against animal testing and funding research in to alternatives also can't be taken to mean they don't ever actually test on animals. The wording used can be very selective in what it means, you have to be very careful and dig a bit deeper sometimes.

Anyway, I'm still confident in the Co-Op and M&S products as they have well defined policies readily available, rather than just a brief claim on the packets, and they're assessed independently by BUAV.
  • This is a useful site. I think Boots don't test on animals. Found Faith in Nature shampoos good Coop I found less good but cheaper- all according to your hair/skin I guess. http://www.uncaged.co.uk/crueltyfree.htm
  • Origonal source shampoos and conditioners are vegan soc approved (so no animal testing or ingrediants) they are often on offer in suppermarkets or found in poundland/bodycare.

I second faith in nature - little bit more expensive but lasts a long time and it very gentle (no nasty chemicals).

I also like lush products - no animal testing and their solid shampoos don't contain preservatives.

Hope this is helpful :)
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I guess what we need to know is what you mean by 'ethical' - which criteria are most important to you?

Is it animal testing? Vegetarian/vegan ingredients? Fairtrade? Local? Free from synthetic/petroleum based chemicals? Palm-oil free? GM free? Parent company ethos etc?

It might be worth you having a look at the ethical consumer website. They have some free health & beauty reports:

http://www.ethicalconsumer.org/FreeBuyersGuides/healthbeauty.aspx
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    It's been illegal to test cosmetic products on animals since 2005. However, you can bet your last dollar that EVERY ingredient used in cosmetics, HAS at some time, been tested on animals.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure