Dental charges

Options
i know there are at few dentists who peruse this site, so I am appealling for some info. My son was registered with NHS dentist, last check up 11 months ago. He lost a filling recently and went to his dentist who informed him that they could only treat him privately( as far as I know they still treat NHS pts) but that because he doesn't get any benefits, the difference in cost is negligable. he went today and they quoted £350 for a replacement filling. They said they make it in a laboratory. He told then he couln't afford that much so they said he could have a normal replacement for £120. Now to me, even this seems extortionate. Does anyone else think the same, or am I really behind the times as far as prices are concerned?
:smileyhea A SMILE COSTS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING

Comments

• Teerah
    Teerah Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It sounds like your son needs a crown or inlay (both involve lab work) and not just a filling :confused: Is your son's practice staying NHS post April 1st?
  • Katykat
    Katykat Posts: 1,743 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think they told him the £350 was for an inlay, but he isn't really sure what it is. He had a filling in that tooth and it came out, so he thought he would just need it refilling. Thats when they said he could have the basic filling for £120, but whats the difference?. Not sure if they are staying NHS, but as it isn't April yet, arn't they still obliged to offer NHS treatment to previously registered patients?
    :smileyhea A SMILE COSTS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING
  • Teerah
    Teerah Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am guessing thats theres quite a substantial cavity there now and thats why they have suggested an inlay. Is the filling a white or silver one? As far as the NHS treatment is concerned, i imagine your son would have been informed by now if the practice was definitely leaving the NHS but if they are, then perhaps with just over five weeks until the changeover there are no appointments left for dealing with new NHS work as other courses of treatment already started will have to be completed by then or payment will not go through. Sorry cant give any further info without actually seeing the teeth in question.
  • Tajak1000
    Options
    The fact that your son doesn't seem to know what his treatment entails means that he doesn't have consent. At the very least, he should have recieved a written treatment plan (which is a must for both private and NHS dentists) which explains cost and treatment. He should phone the practice and request a meeting with the dentist to discuss his treatment.

As a guide, if he signed a pink piece of paper, or was asked if he was exempt from NHS charges, then the practice is probably NHS.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure