We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Overpayment calculator - here

Options

Comments

• cheekychappy777
    Options
    do these calculators take into account the extra charges you may get off the bank if you go over the extra payments you are allowed to pay each year?
  • cheekychappy777
    Options
    do these calculators take into account the extra charges you may get off the bank if you go over the extra payments you are allowed to pay each year?
  • cheekychappy777
    Options
  • Antispam
    Antispam Posts: 6,636 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Looking for a mortgage calculator that works out how much I owe and monthly payment when I pay of a one off lump sum

I gone through most of them in this thread but none seem to fit the bill
  • Healthier_Finances
    Options

I would say no - they assume no penalty if they don't ask you for this information, you'll need to take these extras into account. But if you have big penalties for overpaying I'd look at changing as soon as any tie-in period is over.

Good luck.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Antispam wrote: »
    Looking for a mortgage calculator that works out how much I owe and monthly payment when I pay of a one off lump sum

I gone through most of them in this thread but none seem to fit the bill

You can do it with any calculator that show you the monthly details

http://www.whatsthecost.com/mortgage.aspx

Just have more than one runing and transfer the data from one to the other.

If you learn the basics of how mortgages work you can do just about any calculation with that calculator with a few steps.
  • tiresmokindad
    Options
    There are several of these

Here is one

They demonstrate the benefit of overpaymenst in terms of interest saved and term cut off the mortgage

There are others, add them to this thread

EDIT: location changed

I think that is kind of fraud. They should not overpaying the interest. Specially if that kind of interest is very material.
  • Welshlassie
    Welshlassie Posts: 1,731 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think that is kind of fraud. They should not overpaying the interest. Specially if that kind of interest is very material.

What are you talking about? How is that fraud? Banks allow overpayments and some of the calculators are provided by the banks so they are hardly going to condone fraud are they??
  • mrsvicx
    mrsvicx Posts: 426 Forumite
    Options
    Wow - could pay off the martgage seven years early for "just" an extra £100 a month!!
    10/10 [STRIKE]£12,156.26 [/STRIKE] 11/10 [STRIKE]£11,950[/STRIKE] 04/11[STRIKE] £12,500 [/STRIKE]Ooops! Okay, back on track - 01/2014 £2,800, 05/2014 £4,500 (my car died!)

My little angel (due date 25/12/2014) :A 05/2014
  • mr-mr_2
    mr-mr_2 Posts: 109 Forumite
    Options
    which calculator should i use if i am on a fixed rate for x years and then the rate changes?

thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family