PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February Seasonal cookery

Options
2»

Comments

• Skintmama
    Options
    Mmmm! I have Nigel Slater's Kitchen Diaries too. Everything I cook from it tastes fab. :D

In Michael Barry's Radio Times Cookery year he suggests we can look forward to the following at it's best in March:
    Kohlrabi, Watercress, Radishes, Chinese leaf, Pineapples, Grapefruit, Rhubarb, Kumquats, Dates, Poussin, Mackerel, Hake, Sea trout and Scallops.

He includes the imported fruits and veg in his seasonal calendar which much older books tend not to as we didn't have so many.

In theory all these things should be cheaper if their supply is at its most prolific but sometimes i wonder if we aren't taken advantage of in our expectations, particularly early to mid season.
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder! :T ... I've just dug out my Kitchen Diaries and it's now plonked firmly on the kitchen table so I can read it for inspiration and recipes :D

The oxtail sounds delicious and I've already spotted some in the butchers I went to last week so I'm hoping to make another trip next week to pick some up, as well as a couple of rabbits for the pot ;)

Oh, and treacle tart mmmmmmmmm :drool: ... not made that in years, but I do have some fresh breadcrumbs in the freezer and syrup in the cupboard ;) :dance:
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• thriftlady_2
    Options
    I'm a Nigel Slater fan too,I have Kitchen Diaries,Appetite,Real Fast Food and Real Fast Puddings and a signed copy of Real Cooking.I love his writing,always makes me hungry,but I find some of the timings a bit off.Cooked roast chicken following his instructions in Real Cooking at the weekend(don't know why 'cos I can do it perfectly well without a recipe) and it wasn't cooked properly.Also followed his timings for oxtail and you need at least 3 hours for it to fall off the bone,not 2 like he says.Still love his books though.

Talking of rabbits(one of my favourite cheap meats) has anyone cooked hare?They're in season in winter,season ends this month.My butcher said he could get me one,about £16 each.Sounds a lot but still a lot less than a rib roast.I might have a go at cooking one next year.
  • caroline1973lefty
    Options
    Just to say i think that's a fantastic idea.

One of the nicest things about having an organic veggie box is that i get pretty much seasonal produce without having to think about it. Don't spend any more than I used to spend on non-organic veg, as a result.
    "The Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every man's greed" - Ghandi
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    thriftlady wrote:
    Talking of rabbits(one of my favourite cheap meats) has anyone cooked hare?They're in season in winter,season ends this month.My butcher said he could get me one,about £16 each.Sounds a lot but still a lot less than a rib roast.I might have a go at cooking one next year.

Thanks for the heads up about the timings on the oxtail :)

Hare is one of the few things I've not tried yet, although I certainly would if I was offered one! I can't believe this is the first time ever that I'm actually going to have to buy my rabbit from a butcher! :eek:
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Penny-Pincher!!
    Options
    Cabbages are very cheap ATM.

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories