Lidl

Options
First of all - I love this new board :rotfl: I love food and cooking and stuff so this makes it a whole lot easier :T :T

There's a new Lidl beside my doctors and as I h ad an appointment this morning I took the chance to drop in to see how things were as our other one is far away.

Wow! :D I bought 39 items and spent just £30.69 - an absolute bargain when considering that most of the stuff there would cost double that in another supermarket.

The most expensive thing I bought was 14 rashers of bacon for £2.50! The next was a big jump down to almost half that for milk, bread and 4 baking potatoes which rolled in at around £1.50 or cheaper.

Fab! :) Will def make a trip to do a proper shop there sometime soon!

What do other people like about Lidl? I'm gonna try one of their chicken/bacon pasta salads in a bit :) It looks lovely :T
Homer: Don't you worry about Wikipedia. We'll change it when we get home.
We'll change a lot of things.

Comments

• OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lidl can be great for certain things but then so can other places.
    I think they key is to see what supermarket suits you, depending on what you buy most of. Eg a family buying loads of milk, cereal, fruit and veg etc may find one supermarket better than a single person buying hardly any milk etc iyswim.
    Personally I do find Lidl good but the thing that troubles me with ALL supermarkets is the air miles and welfare thingy!
    If you use cereal Lidl is well priced and good choice/quality, also the wraps (if you don't make your own), naan breads (ditto making your own) and certain veg etc when on offer. Their fruit juices are probably on a par with Tesco prices but are good quality.
    I tend to 'do' Tesco one week, Lidl the next, Coop in between or thereabouts....it varies depending on what I need.
    hth
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I always check out the fruit and veg offers in Lidl, this week they have cucumbers for 49p, they are £1.28 in Tesco so I havent bought them since last summer.

I also like Lidl coleslaw, it was around 50p for a large tub but I'm sure its probably gone up by now. This week they had some nice wine for £2.99.
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • Lynn11
    Lynn11 Posts: 674 Forumite
    Options
    We tend to go to lidl every 2 weeks as well as doing a normal shop in a supermarket. We love their raspberry jam, cheese is very reasonable priced and other canned items. Sometimes they have really good bargains better than the supermarket, but you have to know your prices sometimes to see if you are getting a good deal.
    MFIT T2 Challenge - No 46
    Overpayments 2006-2009 = £11985; 2010 = £6170, 2011 = £5570, 2012 = £1290
  • upsadaisy
    upsadaisy Posts: 417 Forumite
    Options
    They have a lot of good deals on for Easter chocolate and sweets and the moment. Best to stock up now as they always run low the closer to easter.
  • Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    Options
    I love Crownfield Wellness Flakes with red fruit which are sold in Lidl - they look and taste the same as Special K only a heck of a lot cheaper.:j
  • James_N
    James_N Posts: 1,090 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ElliotReid wrote: »
    What do other people like about Lidl? I'm gonna try one of their chicken/bacon pasta salads in a bit :) It looks lovely :T

Their fresh fruit and veg are excellent.

The cheeses are good.

Breads are less pleasing, unless you like "plastic bread".

Look out for 2 for £4 offers on Innocent Smoothies.

Hams and cooked meats are also good, especially if you like the "continental taste".

Try other items cautiously - there are some real disapointments, like the tetrapacks of Apple Juice (watery and poor flavour).

If you are out of spanners, you can always get a set ......:rotfl:
    Under no circumstances may any part of my postings be used, quoted, repeated, transferred or published by any third party in ANY medium outside of this website without express written permission. Thank you.
  • upsadaisy
    upsadaisy Posts: 417 Forumite
    Options
    I like those apple juice boxes, but I find the orange juice ones too acidic. So obviously its a personal choice thing. But I always find their bottle water to have an odd taste.
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Perhaps I should have posted this here instead of a new thread.....:rolleyes:

Lidl offers thread
    Apologies if this has been done already but thought it might be an idea to have a Lidl thread.....
    This is a link to the current grocery specials.

hth someone, and please feel free to move/merge if needed.
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• foreign_correspondent
    Options
    I like Lidl - their cloudy apple juice is lovely, their tomato juice is great, cheese, free range eggs, and part baked bread are all lovely.

Their smoked gammon joints are often on offer, and are good, as is their bacon. We also like the coleslaw, garlic bread, ready made lasagne (good for a lazy tea!), bread flour, dried fruit.. actually I cant raelly think of anything I have bought and disliked!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure