relaiming tax from a few years back

Options
I'm looking for some advice on claiming a tax repayment for the 2005-06 and 2006-07 tax years.

I worked a summer job both years (while I was a student) and didn't earn above my tax free allowance. Can I still claim the tax back?

I also have lost my P45s from both jobs (oops!), how do I go about claiming?

I had a look at the inland revenue site but it seems very confusing!

Comments

• stevenc1979
    Options
    Not sure about your situation, but I worked in Denmark during 06/07 paying danish tax, and I sent off a self assesment form in Dec 08 and by Jan 09 I received a 6k tax rebate. So yes you can claim it back.
    Virgin Mastercard £0/£3500, BarclayCard 0/£8500, Citi Platinum Mastercard £0/£6000, MBNA Platinum Card £0/£3000, Mortgage £96000 83 more payments to go

• tight_scotsman_2
    Options
    thanks for the help.

does anyone have any idea what form etc i have to fill in?
  • jennifernil
    jennifernil Posts: 5,580 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    yes, you can claim it back. do you have any paperwork at all? I would start by contacting your tax office, you may not need any forms, a letter giving details might suffice. you may even be able to get them to review your tax just by phoning.
  • shelly
    shelly Posts: 6,394 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I called my local tax office and they told me what I needed to do in order to see if I was due a refund.

Basically you have to send a letter asking them to look into it. I was told to say in my letter "I am writing to request that checks be made to see if I am entitled to any tax rebate as I believed I have overpaid"

Then you have to list every single period of work and unemployment for the time you wish to be checked. You mustn't miss out any dates at all. You have to list the wages or benefits aswell.

Also you need to send P60's for the dates you want them to check and state in your letter you want this/these back.

HMRC will go back 6 years with rebates.

If you aren't sure or need more info I'd give your local tax office a call. They were very friendly and helpful to me.
  • anniecave
    anniecave Posts: 2,443 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would write to your old employers and ask for a duplicate copy of the p45, or p60's, whichever is easiest for them to do.

Then you can download from the HMRC website the form to reclaim the tax, fill out all the details, send the copies of p60's or p45's in, and you should get your refund.
    Indecision is the key to flexibility :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport