We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

lazy - but need to be fitter

Options
Morning all!

Am about a stone heavier this year than I was last, and (like a real English lady) all of that extra flab is on my hips and thighs. Am a long way from being obese, but I'd like to feel good in jeans again AND be able to run for the bus sometimes.

Have spent an hour googling this morning, and am very tempted to buy a step and dvd. Anyone got any experience of the good ones? The prices are from about £15 to well over £100. Is cheap good enough in this context?

Work long hours and would struggle to get to a regular class. Also can't really afford to spend much on something I might not stick to.

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,198 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Would you walk regularly? It's an excellent form of exercise if you can make the time for it: see the Walking the Way to Health website. It's cheaper than your original suggestion, which I fear I can't advise on!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Get an active Dog.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • Jay-Jay_4
    Jay-Jay_4 Posts: 7,351 Forumite
    Options
    Can you get out of the house for half an hour a couple of times a week for a jog? If you CAN then you'll not only lose weight and become fitter but honestly.... you'll feel great for having some fresh air in your lungs.

If you combine this with an excercise vid/dvd which tones your muscles (a couple of times a week) then you have a really good all round exercise plan that's cheap and (hopefully) convenient.
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    amarillo I have had the lot. Stepper, glider etc etc but it takes massive will power to use them. A bit here and a little bit there is not much good. The posh gym is no good as the willpower goes so wasn`t worth the money. We have a dog but you can stroll and you can throw balls, again not much good. I have taken to cycling during the last two months and at first was walking up the steep hills here, my bike was heavy and didn`t have many gears. I got a bike with a lot more gears and slowly zig-zagged my way up a steep (car free) hill. I got to the top and thought WOW. At last I knew I could do it

I haven`t looked back. I bought a lock and cycle where I can. If I want to get a paper, half a pound of butter etc I get on my bike. My tummy is getting flatter and I feel well. I am nearly 60 and overweight and if I can do it then anyone can!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport