We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

How can I get professional hair dyes??

Options
Hello all!!
As always i'm trying to save money and have decided, for the moment the hairdresser has to go.... I want to dye my hair at home but with 'professional' semi-permanant dyes, such as wella, goldwell...not stuff that comes from boots or tesco - I say this because many hairdressers (one of whom is a friend who unfortunatly for my barnet lives miles away) have told me that these are made with different, cheaper chemicals and are worse for the hair..

So, two questions really;

1) does anyone know where I can buy professional dyes? online??

2) does anyone know whether certain dyes available in Boots, Sainsburys... etc are actually the same as the more expensive dyes available at the hairdresser??

(ps sorry if this isn't the right place)

Comments

• onesocklizzie
    Options
    Ooops!!! thought i was in the Shopping bit - How do I move it??? Anyone??
  • I use http://www.salonsdirect.com, and also Sally's (branches all over) but need a trade card to get good prices whereas salonsdirect are similarly priced

A semi-permanent lasts about 6-8 washes. You probably want a quasi-permanent that lasts several weeks. L'oreal Diacolor gelee is very good, it blends in up to 50% white/grey hair, and it gradually fades so you don't get an obvious regrowth line, but darker colours often don't fade completely (especially if there is more than one layer of colour). It contains no ammonia and doesn't lighten the hair. It's very easy to apply, you can use a tint brush or a bottle applicator to "shampoo" it in. It also washes out of clothing easily and doesn't stain skin as much as permanent colours.

The best advice I can give you is not to be too adventurous - don't go for a huge change, chances are it will go wrong. Stick close to your natural colour. Choose a "base colour" e.g dark blonde, light brown etc, rather than a tone colour e.g ash, gold, copper. If in doubt choose a lighter colour than you think you need - it is easier to go darker next time, but if you go too dark its much harder to fix. (But in a real emergency washing-up liquid or head and shoulders will fade the colour a little but will dry your hair so follow with loads of conditioner)

Maybe ask your hairdresser to recommend something for you, some don't actually mind this as when you go back to them they then won't have a nightmare job trying to match your home-colour to a salon colour or trying fix a disaster. Most hairdressers don't earn much and so should understand that you can't always spend £££s on your hair.
  • *Sparkle*_3
    Options
    i was also going to mention sally's you can buy the products from them but you cant get trade prices without a trade card.

You can also try salon services not sure if they have a website, you can google them.
    Abbey Loan £6,000
    Tesco loan £3,000
    Tesco points --- £100 worth £400 in deals for holiday! :j :T
    "It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change." (Charles Darwin)
  • gkf
    gkf Posts: 404 Forumite
    Options
    My daughter is a hairdresser, she mixes some stuff in a large white bottle with the tubes of colour to get the correct shade. I wouldn't like to have a go myself, but if you need any more info I can always ask my daughter.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport