We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Which tax year?

Options
s100_2
s100_2 Posts: 143 Forumite
Am currently self-employed. It is getting harder to get enough work and so i have applied for a regular part-time job to supplement my income. This part-time job will be via PAYE.

Am trying to sort out a start date, if i start mid-march then obviously it will be in the 2008-2009 tax year and make my self-assessment more complicated. if i wait till the 1st april and get paid at the end of the month does that then fall into tax year 2009-2010? even though the tax year doesnt start till the 6th april? or should i start the part-time job on the 6th april?

sorry for rambling, but would appreciate the advice - when should i start the job in order for earning to count towards the 2009-2010 year? thanks in advance.

Comments

• CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The tax year for PAYE is the year when you are paid.
  • Robert_Sterling_3
    Options
    So start on 01 Apr 2009
    ...............................I have put my clock back....... Kcolc ym
  • s100_2
    Options
    thanks! just sorting it all out in my head before i accept!
  • Pee
    Pee Posts: 3,826 Forumite
    Options
    But if you haven't earned much money this tax year, it might make sense to get a months wages in this tax year to use up your allowance?
  • s100_2
    Options
    thanks pee, but the start of the year was ok, and i've filled out my allowance so don't think thats an issue :-) Just planning ahead for the upcoming months.
  • tyllwyd
    tyllwyd Posts: 5,496 Forumite
    Options
    Why would it make your self-assessment more complicated to start in this tax year? I would have thought that if you start a PAYE job you will just need to fill in the employment pages with your info from your P60 when it arrives - it shouldn't make that much difference to the self-assessment tax bill because you will aready have paid income tax & NIs as you go along on your new job. Or am I missing something?
  • s100_2
    Options
    no, not missing anything at all, i think i was. This will be my first self-assessment this year and thought it would be more complex than that. Reading through all the self-assessment stuff now to get more of an understanding.
  • tyllwyd
    tyllwyd Posts: 5,496 Forumite
    Options
    s100 wrote: »
    no, not missing anything at all, i think i was. This will be my first self-assessment this year and thought it would be more complex than that. Reading through all the self-assessment stuff now to get more of an understanding.

It shouldn't be too complicated at all - if you file online, HMRC do the calculations automatically when you submit the form, so it shouldn't cause a problem. I guess it's an extra half an hour or so to fill in the extra pages, but if you've got paid work you could do, it seems a shame to miss out just for the sake of a bit of admin!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport