Asda is to scrap buy-one-get-one-free offers

Options
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/retailing/article5812007.ece

Asda is to scrap buy-one-get-one-free offers as price competition intensifies between the big supermarkets.

Britain’s second-largest grocer yesterday said that it would cut 5,000 prices by Easter on top of the 7,500 price cuts it announced last month. It said that it would end buy-one-get-one-free (bogof) deals as it intended to win customers’ trust by “not baffling them with vague claims”.

I know :money: hates the old BOGOFs!

Comments

• maggie21
    maggie21 Posts: 156 Forumite
    Options
    Asda usually go one better eg. just now they have jars of Ragu sauce, normally £1.30ish each, but just now it's two for £1. Thats better than bogof any day!
  • eslick
    eslick Posts: 2,062 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    good old asda, they dont pay for these offers its the manufacturers so lets hope they keep the slashed prices down rather than absorbing the "savings" themselves.
  • missymugwump
    missymugwump Posts: 1,171 Forumite
    Options
    Never think of Asda first when thinking of stores that do bogofs anyway

Always think of them as lower prices

Sainsburys does great bogofs
    "Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes." :cool:

All truth goes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Then, it is violently opposed. Finally, it is accepted as self-evident.
  • keith99_2
    keith99_2 Posts: 1,234 Forumite
    Options
    5,000 price cuts? That old chestnut's rolled out again then.
    That generally means a penny or 2 off items that people rarely buy.
    I think the 5,000 cuts is the vague claim. After all,whats vague about BOGOF? I think we all understand that one.
    I for one wont be falling for Asda's claim.
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Butterfly_Brain Posts: 8,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    Options
    I so agree keith99
    Asda are ripping us off left right and centre - how can they call it roll back when things have gone up by 30p, 40p even 50p on some items and put them down by 2p or 3p?
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • No_Future
    No_Future Posts: 334 Forumite
    Options
    Ugh, this is awful really.

This is why I avoid ASDA wherever possible, they don't have very good offers and their prices are not particularly cheap compared to other supermarkets. Furthermore the food quality is dire.
  • curly_cabbage
    Options
    I recently broought some extre mature chees from Asda, to buy one was £3.22 but to buy 2 was £3 for the pair needless to say i brought severel, can't say i have seen those deals in Tesco or Morrison. If they keep us happy with good deals they keep our cash coming into thier tills, cash is king

CC
  • xpf
    xpf Posts: 476 Forumite
    Options
    I went to Asda for the 1st time in ages last week (nearest store is 30 miles away) and I must say I was not impressed with the offers - or lack of, that they had. I attempted to do a weeks shopping there but thought that everything was quite expensive that I gave up and went to Tesco & Aldi back in my home town.
  • anudeglory
    anudeglory Posts: 86 Forumite
    Options
    I'm glad. I can't stand BOGOF deals. I generally only want one of something or more likely am able only to carry/store/eat one of the BOGOF items.

I would buy the product if it was half-price! It's essentially the same, just with less waste. :mad:
    Wins: Fillipo Berio Spray Oil
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport