🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Tax and working abroad

Options
sabelu
sabelu Posts: 1,158 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
My son currently working in Moscow and I believe paying tax there he there for at least nine months what liability will he have to the uk on his return?
It pays to challenge

Comments

• fengirl_2
    fengirl_2 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Options
    If he is not out of the Uk for a complete tax year, he will be liable to Uk tax on his worldwide earnings. I imagine there is a double taxation agreement between the Uk and Russia, in which case, he will get credit in the Uk for any Russian tax paid.
    £705,000 raised by client groups in the past 18 mths :beer:
  • Cook_County
    Cook_County Posts: 3,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Because of the flat tax regime, UK rates are normally higher than Russian rates, so do remind him to save to pay the UK tax ...
  • stevenc1979
    Options
    Depends on what tax he is paying over there.

I was working in Denmark and paying 40% in danish tax, on my return to the uk I sent in a self assesment form along with my danish tax cerificates and they gave me a tax rebate
    Virgin Mastercard £0/£3500, BarclayCard 0/£8500, Citi Platinum Mastercard £0/£6000, MBNA Platinum Card £0/£3000, Mortgage £96000 83 more payments to go

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport