A Last Min Money No Object Shop, Any Ideas????

Options
I finally made the decision to go BR and the date is set for 9am March 6th 2009

I have an amount of money over and above my BR fees and want to kind of prepare myself for the next 12 months ahead, any ideas on the type of things I will find hard to do without??

Im doing a list of all my food and tins and thinking of topping these up, and my friend has offered me her old freezer am seriously thinking of having it and filling it tothe brim with frozen food etc.

I have enough clothes to last a lifetime due to my bad spending/shopping habits, shoes falling out of cupboards so its the more practical things I need, so anyone who has gone down the BR route any ideas on what to spend my last bit of free use cash on?

Have paid the local garage a sum up front this morning for a couple of services, he thought I was bonkers giving him money till I explained why and he said ok, and am having a look at an oldish car in the morning as my 06 model is most definetly going back to HP company.

Think a few cans of paint and wallpaper for spare room might come in handy, was thinking of taking in a lodger but think that income might make me have an IPO order so will ask about that idea on the forum in the morning.

Ive got the usual money saving items breadmaker, slocooker, etc am also considering turning small back garden into a vege plot, maybe a spade and some seeds and some hard graft beats paying going to a gym, funny how the thought of BR has galvanized my ideas, so any more practical pointers would be most welcome.

Lucy

Comments

• jenni75
    jenni75 Posts: 514 Forumite
    Options
    We filled the freezer, but had little notice to prepare as such. We have managed ok so far,(11mths). I must admit I would have been reluctant to have paid anyone upfront for services. Mainly because I am suspicous by nature and in the current finiancial climate what if the garage goes? I would have more more inclined to have put it under the matteress. But thats just me.
    If you are going to fill your cupboards think of the other things that you can get like toilet rolls, washing products, if your on electric or gas meters top them up a bit. Really it depends on the amount or surplus you are talking about, if it is not too much then bear in mind that things always crop up during the year.

Good luck for the 6th.
    Jen
  • headoutofsand
    Options
    Get a push bike, very useful and keeps you fit. I love my recycled cycle.
    Better to be poor than a slave to wealth

• jenni75
    jenni75 Posts: 514 Forumite
    Options
    Thats a good idea headoutofsand, i didn't think of that. I joined freecycle this week following advice on here. Husband thinks he is never gonna get me off the net now, with that site and this!
  • border_collie
    Options
    just go and put it on gift cards at asda and spend as required over the year.

If you fill your freezer and it breaks down:eek:

Put cash aside for next years insurances or council tax
    The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.
  • fiveyearplan
    fiveyearplan Posts: 10,143 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My advice would be to keep some money back for an emergency - say a £200 fund or something. I too am skeptical of paying the garage up front. Did you get a receipt?

:j :j

• Lensman_2
    Lensman_2 Posts: 1,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    12 months worth of new pants!

Coz when they start wearing out and other things are more important, you especially need decent pants.

In fact, they uphold our very foundations. :D

IMO, of course
  • ladylumps45
    Options
    lmao!!! thats so funny lensman.youve cheered me up no end!:beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts